Chapter 2

chapter 2
Maddy's p.o.v🐳
That night I dreamt nothing. My thoughts were blank. My heart was torn. Not broken, but simply torn. When I woke up, I laid in my bed for quite some time actually, because I assumed it was early, since my mom hasn't gotten me up for school yet. I thought about what I could do without Shawn there. How I could have fun, like he told me. Nothing really came to mind, as my parents don't make for very good playmates. However, I did think that maybe we could call Sammy, fly to America, and meet up! Not likely, huh?
Then my thoughts wandered back towards Shawn. How he was gone, how he could get hurt, and how I had to share him. WHY DO I HAVE TO SHARE HIM? HE'S MY BROTHER. MINE.
My thoughts began to turn violent. How I wanted to hurt anyone Shawn wanted to share me with. Overall, I just wanted Shawn to come home.
After awhile of these thoughts, I began curious as to what time it was, since it had felt like forever that I was laying there. Since I didn't have a phone, I hopped out of bed an ventured toward the kitchen, where the nearest clock was.
When I got to the kitchen, and saw the time, I gasped, because my perfect attendance was garbage. School started at 8:15... It was 9:43. I bolted to my parents room to yell at them, because I had had perfect attendance since kindergarten.
When I arrived in my moms room my heart sank once more. They weren't there, and they never leave me home alone. I continued to search the house. None of the bathrooms were occupied, no one was in the living room, and Shawn's room was empty.
For a while I shook it off (SHAKE IT OFF, I, I, I SHAKE IT SHAKE IT OFFFF) and sat on the couch to wait for them to get home. I turned on the fosters, but Callie and Aj were so gross I had to turn it off. So I turned on victorious and watched three episodes. When I was finished, I looked at the clock and it was 12:13. Then I really got worried.
I didn't know who to call... I don't have any family near me, and I don't have anyone's number memorized. Except Shawn of course, but I couldn't disturb him on tour, right?
Well, it was my last resort. And my only resort... But that didn't matter. I picked up the house phone, and dialed Shawn's cell.
"Hello?" Shawn answered the phone.
As I was already in tears, it took me a while to get out my response.
"I - i - it's Maddy,"I stuttered, still in tears.
"Oh hey Maddy, what's wrong? Are you okay? Shouldn't you be at school?"
"Yes"
"Maddy, what's wrong?!" He was starting to sound worried, as he should have been.
"Well, last night when mom tucked me in she told me goodbye instead of goodnight. I didn't think anything of it, until I woke up this morning and mommy and daddy were gone. I didn't want to call you I know you're busy, but i didn't know who else to call, I'm sorry," I said continuing to cry.
"Oh my god, no it's okay don't be sorry. Did mom leave a note saying she was at the store or something?"
"No but I don't think you need that long to be at the store anyway"
"Oh my god, I don't know what to do, I can't get over there right now," he started to cry as well, "you know what? Cameron is in Canada right now! I'm not sure where, but he's there."
So Shawn gave me Cameron's number and I wrote it down, we said our goodbyes and then we hung up the phone. I waited a little bit before calling Cameron. I'm not sure why, I just needed to take this all in I guess.
When I was ready, I dialed the number.
"Hello? Who is this?" Cameron answered.
"It's Maddy Mendes," I replied once again, still in tears.
"Oh what's up? Are you crying?" He questioned.
"Y - Yes," I stuttered again.
"What's wrong Maddy? Did Shawn already leave for tour?"
"Yes, are you near our house?"
"Actually yes, why?"
"Can you come over here? Shawn's in America and I need help"
"What's wrong Maddy?"
"I'll explain when you get here, just please hurry," I was still crying.
"Alright, I'm on my way"
Then he hung up the phone, and once again I was alone.
It didn't take long for cameron to arrive, maybe 5 or 10 minutes? But the time felt like an eternity.
Cameron knocked on the door and I answered it, of course. Seeing that I was in tears, he embraced me in a big bear hug, the way Shawn always does. With that, I began to cry harder.
Cameron picked me up and we both sat down on the couch.
"Now tell me what happened," Cameron said, rubbing my back.
I explained to him what happened, and he immediately asked,
"Who did you call?"
"Just Shawn," I replied.
"You didn't call the police?!"
"No Shawn just told me to call you"
"We have to call the police," Cameron said, whipping out his phone.
He dialed the number and told them what happened. After he hung up, I started asking him questions.
"What did they say?!"
"He said we need to stay here, and they'll be here soon."
"Okay," I said, and then we both patiently waited for the police to arrive.
It took them even faster than Cameron to get here. Maybe like, 2 or 3 minutes?
When the police got here Cameron let them in. Some of them began to search the house, and the others starting asking me questions like, "when was the last time you saw your parents" or "do your parents abuse you". I simply answered them although I felt rather uncomfortable. But Cameron was holding my hand the whole time, so I felt a little bit better. I just pretended it was Shawn's hand.
After a while of these kinds of questions and police searching my house, the police took me outside, and cameron followed.
"Alright sir thank you for staying with her, you may leave now," one police thanked cameron.
"Well what about Maddy?" Cameron asked.
We both turned to the police.
"Well since her and her brother are both under 18, they will be going to a foster home," he informed us.
*mental freak out*
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO WHAT DO I DO?!?! I am not going to go to a foster home. Why did cameron have to call the police AHBABSKSKDBS this is all Shawn's fault for becoming famous I bet. Ugh I hate my life ahahshshskkskdkdkd.
*end of mental freakout*
I really didn't know what to do. For a long time I just stood there. Then I looked at the police, then to cameron, then I started to cry again. I felt like just running all the way to America. All the way to Shawn...
"Sir is there any other way?" Cameron asked the police.
"I'm afraid not, they don't have any adults who want to adopt them, so they have no choice but to go into the system."
This was my worst fear of all. I knew all about the system from watching the fosters. It seemed horrible. Being brought into a home filled with people you thought loved you, just to be kicked out like you're nothing? No. Not for me.
"Can I call Shawn?" I asked.
"Yes you may," the police replied.
I grabbed Cameron's phone and bolted back into the house. I ran to my room and laid down on my bed as I began to dial Shawn's number.
"Hello?" He answered again.
"Hey brother, it's Maddy. It's horrible please do something," I cried out in bigger tears than ever.
"What happened Maddy?" Shawn was in tears as well.
"We - we..." I couldn't get out the words, they hurt so bad.
"Maddy calm down. In through your nose, out through your mouth."
I did as Shawn said and I was calming down. Slowly but surely.
"We're being put in the system," I choked out.
Silence from the other end of the line.
"How can they put me in the system? I'm making enough money that we could live on our own!"
"Brother you're not 18 though," I reminded him.
"I'll be 18 in less than a month, maybe we can work something out. Can you hand the phone to the police?"
"Yeah," I said as I started to walk outside.
"I love you," I told Shawn right before I handed him to the police.
The police walked away with the call, so I don't know what was said.
I turned around and started bawling. My life was perfect just a few days ago, how could things go 100-0 real quick?
Cameron picked me up and gave me a big hug. He started to tell me that everything would be okay.
"How can everything be okay? I know about the system. It's horrible," I ranted to Cameron.
"Your brother will work something out, I promise"
I think we both knew that was not a promise he could keep. It was more of a guess, so that he could say "I told you so" if we was right.
The police walked over to us.
"Well I have good news. Since your brother will be 18 in less than a month, he is going to continue to go on tour, and you will go into the system," the police informed us.
*more mental breakdown*
SO NOW HE'S GONNA SEPARATE US?? THATS EVEN WORSE I'D RATHER US BOTH GO INTO THE SYSTEM NO NO NO SHAWNNNNNN
*end of mental breakdown*
"But," the police continued, "on Shawn's 18th birthday, the 8th of next month, you can join him on tour, and he will be your legal guardian. If you both still want that, and if no one adopts you while you're in foster care."
That was lots better.
"So Maddy, hop in the car, and cameron, you may leave."
Cameron gave me one more hug and some encouragement before I got in the back of the cop car and he watched us drive off.

Want updates on my books?
Instagram: @_calibraskuh_⚓️

Wanna follow my main?
Instagram: @_jordanmendes_🍉

Twitter: @_jordanmendes_🐳