Chapter 25

Verna unlocked a door and placed a tray filled with food on the end table. Barrett was glaring bullets at her. She felt slightly uneasy seeing as he had a gun on his hand and could very well shoot her. She glanced over at the door and shut it. Sighing, Verna removed her hood.

                “It’s been awhile, Barrett,” Verna spoke, keeping her back to him. “Last time I saw any of you guys was in Rocket Town when I hit Palmer with a truck. Then again, none of you saw me.” She turned around and gave a nervous smile.

                “Verna?!” Barrett questioned slightly shocked. “So you are a spy for the Shin-Ra!?”

                Verna shook her head, “No, I’m not. I’m not allowed to leave under Rufus’s supervision. If anything I’m spying on Shin-Ra.”

                “Shit,” Barrett crossed his arms. “So it really was Cait Sith! Damn cat! Well, sorry ‘bout the way we treated you.”

                Verna furrowed her eyebrows together. Cait Sith must have been Reeve’s puppet. She didn’t say anything about the manager. Barrett must have not known who Cait Sith really was. She’d rather not cause any trouble for Reeve. After all, Reeve was pretty much the only manager that didn’t want to kill Verna.

                “Now, if you could keep me being here quiet,” Verna put her hand on the door. “The only ones that know about me being here is Rufus, the Turks and the guy who controls Cait Sith.”

                “You know who it is!?” Barrett took a step forward. “Tell me!”

                Verna laughed quietly, “I can’t tell you who he is, but you’ll need to trust him for something that’s about to happen.”

                “What’s going to happen?! Tell me!” Verna left the room. “Damn it!”

                Verna put her hood back on and walked out of the building. She wrinkled her nose at the smell. Junon wasn’t the most pleasant place. It smelt like rotting fish that weren’t supposed to die due to fishing. Sighing, she kept on walking to the airstrip.

                Once she tried to get on the Highwind, she was stopped. Verna smiled slightly and removed her hood. The man who stopped her moved to the side and ushered her in. He looked around to make sure no one was watching and got back to his post.

                Verna glanced around the control area only to be tackled into a hug. Verna stiffened at someone invading her personal space. She quickly pushed them away. The person fell to the ground and muttered an ow.

                “What was that for, Verna!?” Verna looked down seeing Yuffie pouting.

                “Ya tackled her, so ya asked for it!” A man pulled out a cigarette from his mouth. “Name’s Cid. Welcome to the Highwind. It’s under new management!”

                Verna grinned, “Cait Sith told me all about it. Congrats Captain.” Verna looked around, “Where’s Aerith…?”

                The atmosphere dropped to subzero temperatures. Verna gulped, she asked the wrong questioned. Cid sighed and took out a cigarette. He turned his back to her.

                “You told her ‘bout me becoming captain, but you didn’t tell her about Aerith?”

                “I couldn’t bring myself to tell her!” Cait Sith hugged onto the robot he controlled.