Chapter 35

They say that the stigma is caused by the life stream or mako energy. People point their fingers at Shin-Ra and cry that it’s their fault, but is it really? The life stream has been around since the beginning of life and yet there’s no sign of the stigma in recorded history. Mako energy has been around for decades, and only now has the stigma appeared. I have to question what difference could there be that would allow the stigma to come about and I have an answer.

                When I first began this newspaper series it was to no doubt gain popularity for it. It was also to track down the rumors going around that Sephiroth resurfaced and is alive. We all know that he was alive and trying to kill us all, he was the hero he once was. And now he is a part of my answer.

                Sephiroth may be responsible for the stigma. He was the one that summoned Meteor to kill us. Now that he’s a part of the life stream, he may be causing the stigma.  Now how does this non-contagious disease get around that Sephiroth caused? Simple, we open our hearts to darkness and it consumes us.

                My friend lost a friend and he has the stigma. A boy lost his parents and he has the stigma. I lost three people very dear to me and I too have the stigma. It finds the weak, that are willing to die, and it makes it easier for death to grasp them.

                Now, you may blame Shin-Ra, or the life stream, but it’s not their fault. And while Sephiroth started it, it’s really the fault of the sorrow that has consumed humanity and these troubling times. With hope it may slow the stigma just enough to find a cure. Hold on to happiness and hold on to hope with every inch of your being. That inch is fragile, but it’s all you have left. My inch is almost up, but those who have time should live on with everything they have.

                Goodbye, Gaia, it’s been a pleasure reporting for you. This is the end of the series of the Forgotten Hero, and the end of the newspaper. Good night, and good luck. – Verna Alm

                “And send,” she whispered as she clicked the mouse button on her laptop.

                She closed the lid gently and slipped out of her bed. Her socks made no noise as she carefully stepped over the sleeping panther on the floor. The door opened and shut behind her as the girl made her way down the stairs. The bar was closed already, seeing as it was three in the morning. After maneuvering around tables and chairs, she finally found herself outside.

                Verna reached into her pocket and popped a pill into her mouth before swallowing with just her spit. She coughed multiple times from the pain before it subsided. Sighing, she glanced around the empty street of Edge.  A lamp post flickered, but that was the most action there was.

                Standing up, Verna dusted the dirt off of her pajama bottoms and began to make her way inside. She froze at the sound of a motorcycle rushing through the town. Turning around, her heart stopped. Silver hair flashed past her. Her mouth was a gape. A single word escaped her lips. Sephiroth.

                The motorcycle’s wheels screeched against the tarmac. Smoke filled the air from the friction as the motorcycle came to a halt. The rider glanced over his shoulder. A sly smirk came on his face as he dismounted the bike. Verna’s eyes widened as she turned around quickly to go back into the bar.

                A hand gripped her from behind. A scream escaped her mouth, but it was soon silenced by a leather glove slapping over it. Verna struggled and fought against the man. He was over powering her. Tears started to form, she knew this was it.

                Images flashed past her. A gasp heaved through her lungs from a sudden pain. Black liquid leaked from her leg and traced down to the ground. Her vision was blurring as the man was dragging her to the bike. Then, darkness.

“You know, sir,” an arrogant voice sounded in the darkness of a vehicle. “I found that picture in your home to be very interesting. Who was she?”

                “That’s none of your business,” a smooth voice replied with a sort of calmness to it.

                “Oh, but I think it will be soon,” there was a chuckle. “Because, you see, I found someone who looked a lot like that girl. Of course I thought she would be important to you if you had a picture of her. So do you know what I did?” There was a silence, “I was just kind enough to bring her here for you, just to make your little stay with us a little more enjoyable.”

                The vehicle stopped at what appeared to be a building in construction. It was still dark; the sun wouldn’t rise for another hour or two.

                “What did you do to her?”

                “Oh, nothing really,” the arrogant one climbed out of the car and placed down a ramp before wheeling out the calmer one. “She just had an invitation, so I made sure she was welcomed to the reunion. She was my little test subject to make sure it would work.”

                “To make sure what would work?” The calm one was losing his calmness and started to become more panicked.

                “Ah, Verna!” The man looked up. “Wheel him in the building and make sure he doesn’t escape or no one gets in. Got it?”

                Verna nodded weakly and took the wheel chair from him before walking off.  The man in the wheel chair looked up from under the fabric that hid his face. He had to wonder what was wrong with her. His eyes widened ever so slightly as he saw hers. They were the same as Sephiroth’s.

                “Verna,” he broke the silence. “Do you know who I am?” There was no response. “I’m Rufus Shinra.” Still nothing. “Are you listening to me?” She stopped walking and moved so she was in front of him. “Verna?” Her head hung down with no response.

--A/N—

Okay, so now I’m working on two different original fiction books…One I’m starting to lose inspiration for and the other I’m just starting to get a bunch of inspiration. The protagonist for the later one is a guy who smokes, murders prostitutes and poses as a teenage girl on the internet…Yup…This will be a doozy.