Chapter 6 - Joining the Proving

---Christina’s POV---

It was such a rush to be free, to run towards the Proving, knowing that I was free to do as I pleased. I couldn’t stop myself from laughing out loud as I ran faster and faster, feeling exhilarated and overjoyed while Eve purred in my head.

“Free at last.” She purred contently as we set our eyes on the horizon. I grinned widely and threw my hands in the air, cheering out loud. “Free! I’m free!” Not giving a care in the world that any onlookers might think that I’m crazy.  The chances of being spotted were next to none though; everyone was going to the Proving with his or her pride.

The only ones that I could encounter were other Nomads but they usually liked to travel alone or with a small group of friends. Speaking of friends; that reminded me of someone.

Collin.

He was going to come to the Proving as well. A smile slipped on my lips as I thought back to his teasing before he left; he had made me promise him that I would keep training myself and wouldn’t slack of without his ‘amazing help’. My smile turned into a smirk; I bet he would be surprised at the results of my training.

I skidded to a halt when I realized that I didn’t have any belongings, save for the bow and arrow I had hidden away and the clothes on my body. Oh well. Slightly shrugging, I printed the surroundings in my head before I dashed towards my little cave. Time to say goodbye of the only place where I felt safe.

Shifting into my cat, I quickly retraced my route and went back to the small alcove, where I strapped the bow and arrow over my shoulder before I dropped down again, firmly landing on my hands and toes.

“Holy shit!”

My head snapped up and I smiled at Luke’s dumbfounded expression, his mouth opening and closing as his eyes bulged out of his head. I stood back up whilst assessing his reaction. “Good thing you decided to shift back when you did.”  Eve commented softly as we eyed Luke with curiosity. Why was he here?

He seemed to hear my unasked question because he rubbed the back of his head and kicked against an invisible rock. “I uh…found your scent in the woods and decided to follow it before we had to leave. Wanted to know where it lead to, I guess.”

I smiled slightly and knotted the quiver tighter against my back as I mumbled, “Well, here I am.” Luke nodded slowly, his eyes still wider than normal before he shook his head slightly. “You’ve been training…in secret.” His question sounded more like a statement and I answered it by keeping a neutral expression.

Luke walked towards me and held his arms open for a hug. I sighed sadly and hugged him as he murmured in my hair, “Take care Christina and good luck for the Proving. Show them all what you’re worth.” I smiled up at him, my happiness being joined by sadness that I wouldn’t see Luke except when I visited the pride.

“Ey, chin up girl. The Yukons are a day’s journey that way.” He said with a teasing smile, pointing towards the East. I looked in that direction before I nodded and slipped out of Luke’s one-armed embrace. “Guess I’ll see you at the proving Luke. Take care of yourself and your mate, will you?”