Chapter Sixty One

Chapter Sixty One

   Harry lost his balance in shock, and fell into the railing on the staircase. "NO!" screamed Alex from the bottom of his lungs. He leapt towards the inferno, but Seamus grabbed him around the waist and hauled him back, just as Merlin dived forwards.

A spectacular shower of magic exploded from his hands, putting up a barrier between them and the monster, even if for only a moment. "GO!" roared the small man, throwing up the same spell again. "I will try and hold back the Ifrit, you need to find Voldemort!"

Alex was being held up, and back, by Seamus still, his face wet with tears and his whole body shaking. "He's not dead, he can't be, let me go!"

The creature, an Ifrit Merlin had called it, growled so deep and menacing Harry felt the vibrations in his stomach. "Alex, I-"

The Ifrit tried to swipe at them, but it couldn't get far enough through the roaring wall of magic. "I can't-" Merlin gasped, sweat running down his face. "Hold it much longer. Harry must reach Voldemort before it is too late!"

Harry glanced at Draco and Hermione, who both nodded. "We need to move," Harry barked, feeling hideous for being so callous, but soft words and hugs were not going to get them through this. "Alex, you hear me? You follow me!"

He waited only for Alex to meet his eyes, before he tore back up the stairs, away from the burning flames and the scene of Godric's death. "Draco?" he called out, his feet pounding down the corridor. "Is there another way down?"

"The house is all out of place," Draco shouted back from behind, his breathing heavy. He needed to rest, Harry worried, he'd had a sword run through his gut, no matter how amazing Merlin's healing skills were. That would have to wait though, just like everything else.

Harry shook his head. "No time." He flung open the nearest window and aimed his wand out. "Glisseo!" A ramp shot out from the wall, leading from the window down to the grass a floor below. "Everyone out, move!"

A fireball flew up the steps, dispersing just a few meters away into the landing. Harry stood back and made Draco go first, followed by Hermione. Seamus all but pushed Alex out, the other's Watcher's face blank and not-seeing. "This is messed up," said Seamus to Harry as he swung his leg over. More fire belched up the stairs though, so all Harry could do was shake his head in agreement. Seamus slid down out into the snowy night, and Harry jumped out after him, closing the window behind him.

He hit the grass and rolled with an angry cry, and Seamus made the ramp vanish in a second. "Protego," snapped Draco, still visibly hurting but nonetheless able to throw up a shield charm around them. And for good reason.

Harry quickly got to his feet, looking around. There were people running everywhere, weapons and spells clashing in a terrifying melee of noise, light and blood. After the catacombs of Germany, he had hoped never to see anything like that ever again in his life, but there they were, trying to huddle into the shadow Malfoy Manor was casting.

"Oh no," said Hermione, and Draco put his arms around her.

"Godric's forces," said Seamus, taking in the scene with his jaw firmly set. "The Romans, Vikings and generally anyone not stitched together are with us, the rest are with Voldemort."

"Where did you leave Voldemort?" Hermione asked, her voice quavering.

Harry looked around but they were on the wrong side of the house, and the fighting people were getting dangerously close to them. "In the graveyard," he said. "by a weeping willow, but he might not still be there."