SIX

I stirred into consciousness, I could feel a chill on my bare shoulders from where the comforter had fallen off, but the warmth around my waist and behind me was comforting. David was awake, his hand drawing patterns delicately along my side and across my ribs. I didn't move for a moment, I wanted to just lie there are appreciate the fact that David was there with me.

I turned slowly, finally contempt with the amount of time I'd left myself to enjoy the moment and faced David. His hair fell on the pillow and some in different directions. I stifled a giggle, he looked so messy, the only other time I had seen David without his hair neatly slicked back was when he got worked up over the case and ran his hands through it in irritation.

His hands still traced along my body and I looked down for a moment, my eyes skimming over the small tattoos that were dotted across his fingers.

A sudden ring made me jump slightly as David sighed and turned quickly to answer his phone.

"Yeah?" His voice was harsh and croaky with sleep. I stayed still as David sighed again, running his hand through his hands and then down over his eyes before siting up suddenly. The comforter pooled around his waist and pulled further off of me with his movements. "Yeah I'll be right there"

David hung up and turned to me, a tired look falling over his features as he ran a hand up my arm before giving me an apologising look. "I need to head in, they found a girl this morning"

"I'm so sorry" I sat up, pulling the comforter with me to cover myself. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, are you? I'm sorry I know we were meant to have a day off today"

"It's okay, my friend Kates due tomorrow so I should probably get set up for when she turns up"

"Oh did you tell me about a friend coming over?"

"Yeah" David looked at me confused for a moment, his eyebrows coming closer as he tried to remember. "it's okay if you forgot, you should go if they need you"

"Yeah, yeah right" David got up, I stayed in the bed as he pulled on his clothes quickly, grabbing his top and pulling it over his head before sitting down on the end of the bed to put on his shoes. I moved behind him wrapping my arms around his shoulders and placing a kiss on his cheek.

"I'll miss you" I whispered in his ear. "Will you be back later?"

"If you'll have me" David turned to his head to me when he'd finished with his shoes and pushed his lips against mine. "I don't know how late I'll be"

"Thats okay, I'll wait as long as I can" I smiled reassuringly.

"Like that?" I watched Davids eyes travel down over my body, the thin comforter barely covering me.

"Are you suggesting you want me to wait like this all day for you Detective?"

"Well the ideas very appealing" A small smirk played across his lips before his phone buzzing quickly ripped it away again. "I need to go"

"Okay" One last kiss and David was out the door, I listened as he grabbed his jacket, keys and the close the door behind him, his car soon pulling away from the house and then nothing. It felt so quiet without him here now. Stop it, you've been fine all this time. I sighed and got up, I just needed a shower, thats all.

____________________________________________________________

I pulled up to the edge of the woods, near the outskirts of town. Police cars littering the edge of the road, blue lights flashing despite the early morning, tape being pulled across any possible entry ways to the site.