Chapter 3

Hey guys!
So this chapter is going to be a little different. It's told from third person and it's a flashback so just be aware of that. VOTE AND COMMENT! XOXO
------------------------------
I've got to get to the kitchen. She thought. Fast. She hurried as fast as her legs could handle in her enormous gown. She flung the doors open to the large room.
"Chef! Mama needs forty more shrimp appetizers!" Her breathing was fast and heavy from running around.
"Yes, princesa," the rotund chef said, smiling under his thin mustache. She breathed a sigh of relief and made her way up to the large ballroom again. The guests had begun to file in and she played around anxiously with her fingers. As they came in she tried to guess their identities. They all wore elaborate masks with jewels and lace. Velvet and silk gowns rustled and the staff came out with the first round of appetizers. She looked down at her own gown and spot checked it. It was wine red with black flowers and lace covering it. A section of black showed where the red ended diagonally. Mama had given it to her especially for this event.
"I want you to be the most beautiful woman in the room, Fina. You must find a suitor and you will have no problem in this gown. Oh! And the mask," her mask was also wine red silk with black lace around the edges. Large pearls were scattered on top of the mask and made a little design as they extended past the top into a point where there was the largest ruby she had ever seen nested between them. She loved it.
"Mama! It's beautiful!" She yelled, hugging her mother as tight as she could.
"Anything for you, mi Esmeralda,"
She still stood there thinking of her mama when a waiter came up to her. It was her best friend, Enrico.
"So, Josie, see anything you like?" She looked over to the tray of food he held and nodded her head.
"That beef patty looks delicious, Rico," he gave her a bland look. She knew what he meant. Everyone wanted her to find a suitor, even Enrico. She sighed and shook her head. Enrico patted her shoulder with his free hand.
"You'll find someone, Josie, I know it. Just go out and meet people, be a baroness," he smiled and walked away. She inhaled and started walking around and nodding at people she didn't recognize.
"Oh my! Is that my Josefina? How big she has become!" She looked over painfully at the large woman running towards her. Tía María. She winced when she hugged her and lifted her a good five inches off the ground.
"Tía! How are you?" She smiled.
"Oh, you know. Managing my household, my husband, my weight! So much work, as always!" She laughed shakily and called over a waiter with champagne. She took one and drank it down with one chug but knew she wouldn't be feeling the effects any time soon. She clapped the young girl on her back.
"Go, Josefina, mingle. Don't waste your time with me when you could be finding a suitor," she winked suggestively. Josefina shook her head and walked away. Everyone expected her to find a suitor today. There was no way to escape it. She sat down alone watching the party start. Maybe she would be lucky today, who knew?
---------------------------
"Fina? What are you doing just sitting in the corner?" She looked up at her father and smiled.
"I don't want to be here, Papa," she said sadly. He sighed at sat down next to her.
"I understand, Esmeralda, but you know this is important, especially to your mama." He grabbed her chin and she looked at him. He had chocolate brown eyes and a large square face. A bushy mustache rested on his upper lip. He wore his official attire and no mask because he was the host. He didn't like masquerade balls anyway, this was Mama's idea. He smiled and kissed her nose.
"I love you, Fina, now go out there and shine!" He swooped up grandly and walked towards another guest. She sighed and slouched her shoulders. Everyone, even her papa. Suddenly, she felt a presence next to her. She straightened quickly and turned. He stood there starting at her. His face was completely covered by a plain, black velvet mask. He had a black cape and suit that covered every inch of his being. His eyes shown through the darkness like rays of sunlight and his light brown hair was slicked back. She stood up and brushed herself off while she walked towards him.
"Is there a reason for your overt ogling, sir?" He snapped out of his trance.
"Well if I see a beautiful girl I appreciate her. Why not stare?" At which point he looked her up and down. "You have the most beautiful eyes." He said after many uncomfortable moments.
"Thank you," she said and slowly backed away but he followed.
"May I ask your name?" She huffed.
"No," she turned and started walking but he blocked her way.
"Then what shall I call you?"
"Don't call me," she said and tried to escape again but to no avail.
"Please," he pleaded. His golden eyes begged from behind his mask. She suddenly wanted to take it off and see the insolent face beneath it.
"Tell me your name first," he straightened, realizing he was begging. It was rather hilarious.
"I'm afraid I cannot," she narrowed her eyes at him.
"And why should I tell you my name if you cannot tell me yours?" He pondered on the thought for a minute.
"Good point," she smirked.
"I know, but if you must know who I am, my name is Louis Francesco del Casoriño the third." Josefina eyed him curiously. This man was really getting on her last nerve. "You know you are rather arrogant for a baroness," he said. Josefina did a double take. what did he just say? She thought. " well technically your mother is the baroness,"
"And what could possibly mean by that, sir?" She asked, aghast. The nerve of this man.
"You are not a princess or even really that royal, you shouldn't think so much of yourself,"
"Excuse you! I have never met a person so... Rude! Now please leave me to my party and make your presence known elsewhere. I feel sorry for your next big game to hunt," he seemed genuinely hurt by her statement.
"I'm truly sorry to have irritated you so," he walked away and for the rest of the night wherever she went she felt eyes on her back. She knew for sure that the eyes were his.
--------------------------
So guys, who do you think that infuriating stranger was? *waggles eyebrows* just kidding. I know you know. Unless you don't. Anyway, that was just a little walk down memory lane for Elias and Josefina so... Yeah. They pretty much hated each other from the start, or maybe Josefina just hated him. Let's see where this story leads them. LOVE YOU GUYS XOXO