Chapter 03 | My Sex Life Is Thriving

"Are you alright?" Connor asks a few days later.

"I'm fine," I nod, looking across at him. "Why?"

"You've been stabbing that piece of toast with your fork for ten minutes," He says, nodding at my plate.

"Sorry," I sigh, looking down and realizing he's right and that I've basically pulverized my piece of toast.

It's Tuesday morning and Connor and I are at Finnegan's, also known as the absolute best breakfast restaurant in the entire state of Massachusetts. We come here a lot, even though it's a forty-five minute drive from Boston, because that's how good it is. They've got these amazing pancakes and crepes and muffins and it's heaven on earth, basically.

Anyway, ever since Saturday, which is when Beckett and Aspen came home from England and Graham graduated from Kansas State, I've been freaking out. The day itself was going absolutely fine, more than fine actually, since my best friend and my brother surprised me. When night fell though and Connor, Aspen, and I were about to go and see a movie after having dinner with my parents, things took a tragic turn for the worst. I wish I was being dramatic.

I'd checked my phone and saw that I'd missed a call from Graham, which was surprising because he never calls me. I mean, literally, since we broke up back in December, he has called me a grand total of two times, including last night. The first time was to tell me Merry Christmas, which was awkward, and the second time was last night. And like he always does when someone misses his call, he left a voicemail. And the voicemail is what's freaking me out.

"You're not very good at hiding things, you know," Connor informs me matter-of-factly before taking a sip of juice.

"You're not very good at reading people, because I've got nothing to hide," I laugh shakily. That is a lie, obviously.

"If you say so," He chuckles. "So, what are you doing today?" Connor asks me then, dropping the topic.

"Babysitting the cutest kids in the world," I tell him, my mood immediately improved. "Wanna help me?"

Now that classes are finished and I've got nothing to do all day, aside from work, which I've got the next week off from, since I'm supposed to be in Kansas, I told my parents that I'd be more than happy to babysit my adorable little siblings. James is still doing the therapy thing and my mom is still doing the Fortune 500 company CEO thing, so they're busy a lot of the time. Usually, Savannah and Nicholas go to this really uppity daycare while they're at work, but that's expensive and I'm free and want to spend time with Nicholas and Savannah, so why not volunteer?

"Sure, as long as I don't have to change any diapers," He responds.

"Deal," I giggle before taking my vibrating phone out of my pocket.

My heart starts pounding in my chest and I'm afraid that it might be Graham, but when I look down at the display and see the name "James" and a picture of him holding a smiling Savannah in his arms, I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Thank God it's just you," I mumble, answering the phone.

"Were you expecting someone else?" He asks me curiously.

"Ah, yeah, kinda, but that's not important. What's up?" I ask, deciding not to tell him about the Graham thing, mostly because Connor's sitting right in front of me and I haven't even told him yet.

Another reason though is that because even though James isn't my doctor anymore, he still has this tendency to try to counsel me whenever I tell him about my life problems and whatnot. I used to be really annoyed by it, but then my mom sat me down and explained to me that that's the kind of stuff dads do for their kids, you know, try to help them with their problems. It sounds stupid, but in my defense, I didn't have much of a dad growing up, so I thought he was just being nosey, not fatherly.