Chapter 05 | Prettiest Girl in the Whole World

*** GRAHAM'S POINT OF VIEW ***

"How long do you think that we'll be together?" Sawyer randomly asks me.

"A long time, probably," I shrug. "I don't think that many other people would be willing to deal with either of us," I tell her then.

"Wow, how sweet of you," She sarcastically mumbles, sighing dramatically.

"Yeah, I know," I laugh, glancing over at her and seeing that she's looking up at the ceiling with a sad look. "What's up?" I ask.

"Nothing," Sawyer denies, closing her eyes. "I'm being dumb and paranoid."

"Well, that doesn't sound like 'nothing'," I say, sitting up in the bed and looking down at her. "C'mon, tell me what's bothering you."

It's November of my freshman year in college and Sawyer's senior year in high school and we're still going strong, even though it's been about three months since I moved across the country to Kansas.

Honestly, I wasn't completely sure we'd make it this far, what with us being in different time zones and with college classes and football for me and volleyball and art club stuff for her (she got back into both of them – she quit after that stuff with Flynn happened — which I was really glad to hear when she told me). Again all odds though, we're doing pretty well at the long-distance thing.

Thankfully, our Thanksgiving Breaks are the same week, so I flew home to Massachusetts last night to spend it with her. Well, with my family too, but mostly Sawyer. We try really hard to make this long-distance thing work, so I come back home as often as possible, which has only been twice before now — flights are expensive and being in college has pretty much completely bankrupted me.

When I found out I had entire week off for Thanksgiving though, I knew I had to come home to see her (and my family). It's been a month since I'd last seen her and I can't explain how much I missed her.

We're at my old house now and we have it to ourselves because Tucker, Cassidy, Natalie, Jackson, and my mom are all in Vermont visiting my grandparents. I didn't tell them I was coming home until the plane touched down and by that time, they were halfway to Vermont, so I told them to go ahead and that I'd see them when they came home in a few days. So, since I got in last night, Sawyer and I have been hanging out. Shockingly, her mother let her spend the night.

"I just really don't want to break up any time soon," Sawyer tells me. "Well, ever, really, but especially not any time soon," She adds.

"Well, that's a relief," I chuckle. "Because I don't want to break up any time soon either or ever, really," I say, echoing her words.

"But aren't there pretty girls at Kansas State? Kansas State seems like a place where there'd be lots of pretty girls," She says.

Sawyer and I have been together for almost a year and in all that time, I've come to realize that she is insanely insecure, which is crazy, because she's literally got nothing to be insecure about. I have tried telling her that, but she always just shrugs it off.

"Well, I mean, I guess," I shrug, grabbing her hand and pulling her up. Then she's sitting up and across from me and she's opened her eyes, but now she looks all glum, like someone's just run over that cat she's so in love with. "But I don't pay attention to any of them," I swear. "And yeah, they're okay, but you're the prettiest girl in the whole world, babe, and you're the only girl I care about."