Chapter 4: Bad News

Sounds of keyboards typing and coffee sipping filled the Wright offices. "Good Morning, Mr. Wright." Said one of the new employees as I walked in. "Good morning Tracy." I replied. Soon I made my way into my own office and sat down at my desk. I began checking my e-mails then froze when I noticed a message with a sender signature labeled, C. Just as I was about to open it, my office door opened and in came Pearl holding something behind her back. "Pearl? What are you doing here?" I asked. "Close your eyes!" She said. I let out a sigh and closed my eyes. I suddenly felt something being placed on my head. "Ta-Da!" She said with enthusiasm. "It's your fancy top hat thingy!" She said. "Where did you get this and why did you bring it here?" I asked. "I sort of stumbled in your room and found it! I've never actually seen you wear it so I thought I'd bring it here and snap a quick picture for the scrapbook I've been working on." She explained. "And you couldn't have waited until after I was done at work?" I told her. "I was really eager to finish my scrapbook! So can I please get the picture? Then I'll be out of your spiky hair!" She said excitedly. "Maybe I should get a hair cut..." I thought to myself. "Fine. Let's get it over with. Cheese." I said. "Cheese? Really? That's pretty lame... Well, see ya." She said. She forgot to take the hat with her. But I'm kind of glad she didn't. This hat means a lot to me. I placed the hat on my desk and returned to my computer to read the mysterious message.

Dear Mr. Wright,
I hope you're doing well and am happy if you are. But it may seem I have some unfortunate news for not only you, but for my subjects aswell. I cannot go into full detail in this message. We must meet again to further discuss this grave problem. I trust that you will decide to help us to end it.
Yours truly,
C

I reread the message almost ten times, trying to understand who and why it was sent. "Who the heck is C? And what am I supposed to help end?" I thought to myself.