Chapter Two

In the last weeks of September, after freshmen jitters have started to fade and crisp air replaces the warm summer breeze, Thomas finds out about Minho's wild parties.

"Apparently back in high school, he used to throw them once a month." Newt explains to Thomas and Teresa, one Tuesday, at a diner across from campus. "His parents go on business trips quite frequently and he'd send us pictures of house - completely trashed - after the parties."

Thomas waits until he's finished chewing his burger to ask, "And his parents never found out?"

"They had to have suspected something," Sonya shrugs, offering Newt the rest of her hot fudge sundae. "I mean, you leave a teenage boy home alone, up to his own devices - it had to have crossed their minds."

"So he plans on throwing one this week?" Teresa clarifies.

"Since Halloween's a month away, he wants to "give everyone a preview of what's to come"," Newt tells them, poorly imitating Minho's accent and causing Thomas to laugh.

"Oh please do say you'll come!" Sonya exclaims. "Teresa, you can stay with me and Harriet in our dorm! We can have a sleepover, as if we were children, and do each other's hair and nails-"

"Don't traumatize the poor girl." Newt interjects.

"And Thomas can stay with you guys," Sonya continues, as if he hadn't spoken at all. "You all can beat each other up or do whatever you boys do at sleepovers."

Teresa giggles at that while Newt rolls his eyes, "Excuse my bossy sister and pretend she's normal. You all should come, though."

"Yeah, that'd be fun." Thomas agrees before glancing at Teresa.

She looks apologetic. "I've already made plans with Gigi and Jacob to go camping. It's their two year anniversary."

Thomas frowns in confusion. "So why are you going?"

"Well, you were supposed to come too. That way I wouldn't feel like a third wheel."

Thomas makes a face. "With Jacob? I'd rather not."

"Who's Jacob?" Newt asks.

"He's a friend of Teresa's, who went to our high school, that tried to steal my signed Mets baseball and sell it on eBay."

"Sounds like an a-" Newt starts to say before catching Teresa watching him carefully. "An ah, interesting guy."

Teresa turns back to Thomas, a defeated look already in her eyes. "Are you going to go to the party instead?"

He knows that she wants him to spend time with their friends back home but Minho's party was a lot more tantalizing than spending three days with Jacob Stoll. To be fair, Thomas thought, anything was more tantalizing than spending time with Jacob.

He makes up his mind. "Yeah. Yeah, I am."

Sonya cheers loudly and Newt looks delighted. "All right, Tommy! Next time then, Teresa?"

Teresa's smile is friendly but small. "Absolutely."

Newt and Sonya make their way back to campus a bit later, leaving Thomas and Teresa to head back home.

They make small conversation during the first ten minutes of the car ride before Teresa comments, "I wish you were coming with us this weekend. You'd have so much fun."

Thomas looks at her quickly before averting his eyes back to the road. "Are you being serious right now? Me and Jacob in the same -"

"It's not just going to be Jacob there, you dimwit."