Chapter 3: Should I Trust Him?

[IN THE MINDSCAPE]

Bill was grinning from ear-to-ear at the sight of my discomfort. I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I remember that he can read my thoughts? It's not like I meant anything. It's just surprising how a geometrical dream demon can actually look... normal. I closed my eyes, telling myself that this is just a dream. It's not like he's a real person. Whatever he wants from me, and whatever he's willing to give me in exchange, I will never make another deal with him. When I open my eyes, his face is only inches away from mine. I could feel his warm breath on my face and smell a citrus-like scent that he had obviously doused himself in. "W-what do you want, Bill?" I stammered. He only grinned wider and let out a little chuckle. " What do you want from me?" I repeated, a bit louder. "I'm not making another deal, Bill, if that's what you're hoping for". "Oh, Pinetree, you're so... cute!" He exclaimed. "I don't want to make a deal with you. I just... wanted to see you." His face became more serious. "It's been a while, hasn't it?" "Yes, it has. And I highly doubt that you'd summon me here just to look at my beautiful face." I said more confidently than I felt. Bill bit his lip in frustration. "No, really. You get lonely being in the mindscape and watching the stars go by, y'know?" He said softly. Now, this was getting weird. All I'd ever known Bill to be was a cold-blooded swindler that would do anything to get ultimate power. But now... it seemed he had changed. Could it really be? Did Bill, my family's enemy for as long as I could remember, be getting soft? And now, I suppose he expects me to be his friend, I thought bitterly. Maybe he's taking me for a fool, but I won't cave in that easily. "And why should I believe you?" I started, "After all the things you've done, now you just expect me to trust you? For all I know, you could be plotting the demise of my whole family as we speak!" "Silly Pinetree, I have ways of making you believe me," he said with sly grin. "Y-yeah? Like what?" I said, becoming more anxious with every word. "Like this." Bill whispered and pressed his lips to mine. Surprised, I flailed around, unsure how to react. When he finally pulled away, he flashed a sneaky smile and the world around me deteriorated to darkness.

[IN THE SHACK]

I woke up with a gasp. At first, it felt like a normal morning, and then the memories of the previous night flooded back into my mind. My lips still felt warm from Bill's gentle touch. Why did that feel so... good? I gave myself a slap. He's a demon, for goodness sake! He's not a real guy, just a whisper of the universe. But if that was true, why couldn't I stop thinking about him?