Chapter 18: Another Way

Peter collapses again, and I freak for a second. I check his pulse again and heave a sigh of relief. I rest my forehead against his arm in emotional exhaustion. I yell for Felix. As he hesitantly crawls into the tent. "There's got to be another way," I state.

He immediately knows what I'm talking me about. "I-I don't kno-"

"There has to be. We are absolutely not killing a small child."

Felix swallows at my sharp tone and Trouble's growling. He squeaks, "I-I was going to say I don't know if it will work, but there is another ritual we can go through. It's risky, but it's better than nothing. We take his heart out, but then the one who metaphorically has taken Peter's heart must whisper two words. What two words, I'm not sure."

"Well then what are you doing here? Go find out what they are!"

He hastily nods and rushes out the tent. I make a mental note to apologize to him later.

I flip the cold cloth over on his forehead and lightly put pressure on it. Trouble whimpers and nuzzles my leg. I pet his head as I try to calm down. Grasping Peter's hand with both mine, I try to keep the tears from cascading down my face. I think about all the fun times we had together, the golden age of our relationship. I smile and lightly laugh remembering the time we danced in the rain. "I love you so much, Peter. So damn much," I whisper. Slowly but surely, I doze off to a sorrowful dreamland.

---------------------

I slowly fade out of my dream to feel some shifting. I feel light pressure on my head. It slowly moves down to my ear, pushing some hair behind my ear. I hear an all too familiar chuckle and my eyes shoot open. "Peter!" I exclaim, taking his hand from my head and search his face for signs of distress. None. "How do you feel?"

"I'm feel fine."

"Peter..."

"I'm fine!"

"Okay. This Mr. Too-Strong-To-Be-Sick has to march out this tent right this second. I'm worried about you, Peter, and I can't help if you don't tell me what's wrong. How do you actually feel?"

He looks shocked for a second followed by a smirk, which is followed by tensed facial features. "I have a huge headache, and I feel weak."

"Oh, baby, this isn't good."

"I know."

"You'll be fine. I won't stop but anything until you are."

He hums happily in response. "Love you, (y/n)."

"Love you too, Pan. Now get some rest. You need it."

His hand loosens on mine and his breathing steadies out immediately. I smile and stay for a few minutes, staring at his hand. I lightly trace patterns on his palm. Every now and then, his hand twitches.

After awhile, I get up and kiss his forehead. I go to remove my hand from his bed when he reaches out and grasps my wrist. "(Y/n).... Stay..." He says in his sleep.

I smile and kneel next to his bed again. "I'm not going anywhere."

He smiles and goes right on dreaming again. I grab a pillow from the ground and rest it on the side of his bed. I lean against it and slowly drift off, just like Peter.

---------------------------------

My eyes shoot open when I hear a knock on the tent. The moon is high in the sky, and the tent is practically a fridge. I unzip the tent and see Felix. I move from the door to allow him in. Once he's in, I wrap my arms around him. Hesitantly, he hugs me right back.