19. Not Without Consequences

I was kept in the run down house for around a week. In this time, I got to know Ganske and Hinkle a lot better. They were actually really nice guys who were only working for Shiatvzi to protect their families. Finally, they were taking me to Shiatvzi.

Ganske and Hinkle put me back in my restraints the next morning. They explained that Shiatvzi would think of me as a threat if I wasn't bounded. I was anxious, but I kept an emotionless face. I played the 'poor scared girl' role when we made it to the palace. There were guards lined up on either sides of the small hallway that led to a room. Ganske and Hinkle took me into the room. There was a man sitting on a throne in front of me. Despite all the guards outside the door, there weren't any in here. Perfect. Shiatvzi stood and came down to me at lightning speed.

"Why have you brought her to me?" he asked the men rudely.  Ganske spoke first.

"We thought she was the Legacy, but she doesn't even have abilities. The old woman informed us that the Legacy hasn't even been born yet. We are requesting permission to take her back to America," Ganske explained. Shiatvzi looked at me before he nodded.

"Very well," Shiatvzi said. He called a guard in and asked for him to prepare a plane for me to travel back on. He was just making this too easy. All I had to do was find the plane and leave. When the guard left, Shiatvzi turned his back to me to go back to his seat. I took this opportunity to strike. I stabbed him in the back with the knife and tore his limbs apart. It was so fast, that he didn't even have time to scream. I had his limbs in separate fires in a matter of seconds. I panted and looked at the ashes before I turned to Ganske and Hinkle. They only stared at me shocked.

"You were..." Ganske whispered quietly. I was aware of the guards' ears outside the door. I nodded once.

"Of course," I replied back under my breath. I waited for the fire to die down before I put the restraints back on my wrists. "Act like nothing happened." I said under my breath. They nodded and took me out of the room. We got to the end of the long hallway before the guards started buzzing. They immediately started after me. I moved out of reach of the first guard that tried to attack and swiftly broke the neck of the second one. They all came after me at once. I figured these were the genetically engineered people because when they would get tired, they just fell and turned to dust. That gave me an idea. I ran out of the palace anticipating that the guards would chase me. I was much faster and stronger than them, so they had to struggle to keep up. They started dropping like flies. When there were only a few still following me, I headed back to the palace. They were much quicker, and they didn't seem tired. These must be the real evolved. I stopped just inside the large hallway and turned to fight. They lunged at me. I succeeded in stabbing them with the knife and breaking their necks. I plunged the knife into the last guard and watched as the life drained from him. Pulling the knife out, I watched him fall to the ground lifelessly. I let out a breath and turned to find Ganske and Hinkle. A guard had them pinned against a corner. I narrowed my eyes and swiftly broke his neck. I looked at Ganske and Hinkle.

"Let's go," I said emotionlessly.  They took me straight to the airport.

"Thank you," Hinkle whispered gratefully. I did it. The people of Russia were now free.

"Wait! Maybe you should come with me. If there are any other guards, they are going to recognize your face. You're either going to be treated as heroes or villains," I said. They thought about this. Ganske shook his head.

"I have a family to take care of, but thanks for the offer," he replied. Hinkle shook his head as well. I waved goodbye before the plane took off.  I couldn't believe what I just did. That might have been close to seventy people that just died. Around the end of the flight, one of the flight attendants talked to someone over the plane phone and looked back my way. She nodded and started heading towards me. I pretended to look around interested. The flight attendant walked over to me and sat in the empty seat next to me.

"Ma'am? Are you American?" she asked, for a confirmation. I figured that they described me as the only American. My best bet was to speak Russian.

"Chto vy govorite?" I asked her what she was talking about. She scrunched her eyebrows and looked around the plane confused.

"Ty prishel iz Ameriki?" She asked me if I came from America in Russia. I shook my head and explained that I was going to visit family in America.

"YA sobirayus' navestit' rodstvennikov v Amerike. Ya russkii," I said. I was trying to avoid as much unnecessary attention as possible. The captain came on the overhead and said that we were landing. I waited for him to say it in Russia before I buckled my seatbelt. The flight attendant buckled her seatbelt as well. Great; I was stuck. When we landed, everyone started grabbing their bags and heading off the plane. The flight attendant blocked my way, so I had to wait. When the plane was completely empty, she turned back to me. As she turned, I grabbed her throat and held it as tightly as I could. She gasped as her eyes widened.

"I would like to get off the plane now," I said lowly. The color drained from her face before she went limp. I snapped her neck just to be sure. I stood and walked off the plane calmly.

"Have a good day and we hope you choose International Airlines again," the captain smiled. I smiled back softly and walked off the plane. As soon as I reached the trees, I took off running. I ran full speed to my house. I didn't stop till I got there. It took me about half an hour, but I never slowed. I went in through my window and sighed as I looked around my room. It looked the same. Nothing had changed. I went to my bathroom and brushed my hair. Something shiny caught my eye in the mirror. I looked at my hand. It was my engagement ring. I missed Cadence. This was the longest I'd gone without him. I sighed and took a quick shower. I healed any cuts or bruises I got from the fight and tried to make myself look as normal as possible. I changed into some sweatpants and a v-neck before I ran to Ian's house. I walked in and went to the living room.

"Cadence did you find her-" Tessa asked standing. She looked at me shocked. Her eyes watered and she ran to me. I hugged her tightly. "Oh my God! Ellie, are you okay?" She asked in a whisper. At the mention of my name, Ian, Kylie, and Damon came rushed down to the living room. Everyone took their turns hugging me. They all started talking all at the same time. I looked around anxiously and tuned them out.

"Did Cadence go to Harvard yet?" I asked, interrupting them. They all quieted down immediately. Kylie was the first to speak.

"He's been looking for you. He wouldn't leave without knowing you were safe first," she said quietly.

"I'll try to reach him on his phone," Ian said. I shook it off and turned to Damon.

"Did anyone come here?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No, the twins are still safe," he smiled softly. I hugged Tessa tightly.

"I'm glad everyone is okay," I smiled. Ian came back in.

"What about you? What happened?" he asked. I looked down at my hands and hesitated.

"Nothing," I mumbled. I looked at Ian. "But, let's just say I did what I was supposed to do." I finished. Everyone looked at me confused. My hands started trembling when I looked at them. I killed someone, and not just one person; a lot of people. The reality of what I did sunk in. I mumbled something about being tired before I ran up to my room. As soon as I closed the door, I curled up on the bed and started crying. I wasn't worried about being loud; I was just letting it all out. Eventually, I cried myself to sleep.