Chapter 3

EDIT (from before the re-write): "Mami never knew about the fact that witches were magical girls. She also never knew that the gem contained the soul itself, she just assumed that it was the source for her magic" -Zexalfangirl_101 (they said sorry for criticize in the beginning, don't think they were hating you guys)

Thank you to Zexalfangirl_101 for that fact! I would've never noticed that I missed that, so this chapter has been edited to fix that error~! I can't thank you enough!

*******************************

I immediately stifle. "Before you guys say anything to Kyubey—"

"Let's talk it over a slice of cake and a cup of tea first, alright?" Mami puts a hand on my shoulder, probably trying to douse my anger.

"Well, let's go then!" Clapping her hands, Mami strolls towards her apartment, leaving us to follow. The walk over was silent and tense, everyone trying to wrap their heads around the situation. I can tell Mami was trying to think of ways to do damage control, even though it's not necessarily needed, because Kyubey wanted them to see. Kyubey wants them to become magical girls. I can see why, but with the way Homura is fighting against that idea so fervently, I can't help but feel that something may be off. Despite the walk feeling like an eternity, in reality it didn't take long to get settled inside to set up the tea and cake. It almost felt like a normal gathering... until conversation started, pulling me back to the present.

"You guys are what?" Sayaka screams.

"We're..." I say pointing to myself and Mami, "magical girls. We protect the world from witches."

"That's what you had seen today. The witch is what trapped you in that weird place." Mami jumps in to explain a bit further. Sayaka takes a bite of her cake, stabbing her fork into the slice. Madoka appears to be taking the news better, looking mentally occupied trying to process, still petting Kyubey through everything.

"And that's Kyubey." I point, trying to keep my scowl hidden.

"Homura was trying to kill me. I don't understand..." Madoka stuttered a bit.

"Actually, it was me that she was after." Kyubey spoke up in Madoka's arms. "It seems she was trying to prevent me from making a contract." That explains how Madoka and Sayaka got into that weird situation with Homura and Kyubey, but the reason why she's so against having Kyubey make a contract with Madoka still escapes me. That brings me back to the questions I had earlier though— what the hell does Homura want with Kyubey, instead of just talking to Madoka alone? She must already know killing Kyubey won't get rid of him, he'll just come back. Sayaka speaks up before I can stew in my thoughts any further.

"I sprayed her with a fire extinguisher! That got the weirdo to leave us alone. She's just really creepy..." Sayaka shivers just thinking of the instance. "But why would she try to stop Kyubey from letting us become magical girls if we're all fighting the same enemy. Wouldn't it be better to have more of us against them?"

"Being a magical girl isn't all fun and games. It's hard work, and it's dangerous. You both have seen that today." I keep a straight face, silently pleading to the universe that they'll take my words to heart. I don't know why Homura is so dead-set on keeping them separate, but until I can ask her why, I'm gonna to attempt to do the same. "Magical girls don't usually get along, and when magical girls work together, they stay in cliques almost."

"If our soul gems," Mami holds up her shining yellow soul gem, "become black and murky, we need to kill the witches and acquire grief seeds in order to have our soul gems become clean again. There's only so many grief seeds in comparison to the amount of magical girls."