Two

"Avery, Avery!" I heard the sound coming from my mom down the stairs. "Wake up, and come down here!" I love my mother, I really do, but I should not have gave her a key to my flat. She invited herself over at the most inconvenient times, and I just can't face her right now. I can't hide this from her, she can read me like an open book. How does one go downstairs, explain why I've called off work two days in a row, and can't keep down anything, let alone smell the food she has already prepared for me. I guess I could just be upfront and tell her.... "Hey mom! I called off work because I'm sick. Why am I sick you may ask? Oh funny story! I'm pregnant with your first grandchild! Aren't you thrilled!!" I huffed and rolled over in my bed so I could cuddle my pillow. Here comes the tears again. "Pull it together, pull it together Avery." I just kept repeating this to myself hoping it would calm me down. "Avery Jane, get down here now! I made eggs." And with that being said, I jumped out of bed, and ran to the bathroom, just the thought of eggs made me sick. This is going to be a long day.
"Hello, darling." My mom smiled at me as she handed me a plate of eggs. "Good morning mom. Not to be rude, but what are you doing here?" She put the pan in the sink and began to wash it for me. "Well sweetheart my assistant told me you haven't been at work for the last two days, something about you being sick. I wanted to check and make sure my only daughter wasn't dying, you can't really blame me for stopping by now can you?" She was speaking to me in a joking tone. I love my mother and all but she can a tad dramatic. "I'm fine mom." I was sitting at the kitchen bar moving my eggs around with my fork trying to make it look like I have eaten some. "No offense love, but you look like hell." I choked on my orange juice. "Gee thanks mom, way to make me feel good about myself." I relied in a sarcastic tone. I know she is only here to make sure I wasn't skipping work. My mom is head CEO of the publishing company, and if I'm going to take over someday, I need to be there everyday, all day. "I'm sorry darling but you look horrible, your hair is brittle, and your skin is pale and dry, you look dehydrated, I'm a bit concerned." I didn't know how to respond to this, she was absolutely right. I just started crying. "Oh darling, what is it." She said walking over to me, with a concerned look. "I'm so sorry mom, I don't know why I'm crying." I managed to choke out between sobs. "I just don't feel good, I need some time." She stared at me. Worried. "I'm going to call off work today, and take care of yo..." "NO!" I cut her off mid sentence. I can't have her here. The longer she is here, the more curious she is going to be. "Mom just go to work and let me rest." I pulled myself off the chair, and headed to the stair steps. "Please mom. I just need to sleep. I'll be back at work tomorrow." And with that I put one foot in front of the other and continued up the stairs and plopped myself of the bed.
From upstairs I heard my mom washing the plates from breakfast when sudden she dropped one and I heard the shatter. I jumped from the bed and ran down to her, "Mom, mom! Are you all right why did you drop that, are you okay." I was panicking but she was just standing there. Staring at me. I was starting to feel self conscious. "Mom!!" I shouted. "You're pregnant. Avery, you are pregnant!" She could barely get the words out. We both just stood there staring at each other, completely in shock. "Yes mom, and I'm terrified." I can't believe I told her. The tears started streaming down my face, and she walked over and hugged me. "Everything is going to be okay darling, it will be okay."