Chapter11 No more ambulance

A/N Cred goes to  Anais Nin for the beginning quote about mornings and cred to Dalai Lama for the  'friend quote' :)

»Gabriela Dawson's POV«

A leaf flutters in through the window this beautiful morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settles on the fire escape, joy in the task of coffee, joy accompanied me as I'm walking to the kitchen and are greeted by Matt, making coffee. I sit down beside him and we start talking, about yesterday, just yesterday; nothing special. I is really nice to talk to him because I had a nightmare this night. I saw how Shay and I changed places and how the fire came from the second floor, then how the beam fell down over her. I saw her lifeless body laying on the floor, it was horrible. This nightmare keeps come to me but every time I tell myself that friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day. I decide to not tell Matt about the dream, he didn't need to know. 

Today I will officially become a candidate again, I'll be back on truck because today is Jennie's first day working since the accident. I'm really excited to be on truck but it also means I'm going to have to cook and clean and do allt that stuff. I'm very glad that Jennie is back because she's a good EMT candidate. Well, honestly this isn't her first shift. Two weeks ago she helped us out when there was a big explosion in a big warehouse, a lot ot people were injured and she helped us out. That day we saved 15 lives out of 20. That day, four people were found locked in a office, all four died. The fifth person that didn't make it was a daughter to a big drug dealer, the daughter's father wasn't happy at all. 

When Matt and I gets to work, he goes to his office and I go to the common room. Mostly everyone have come. I'm very surprised Jennie hasn't arrived yet, on the other hand, the shift doesn't begin untill ten minutes. Since there are ten minutes left and I have no thing to do, I decide to walk to the ambulance and take my stuff. I have among other things a jacket and a coffee mug. When I go to the ambulance, I see Severide, he is probably waiting on Katie who's coming and visit us today. 

I stand outside the ambulance, wondering if I should say something to him, or if I should just go away. When I have decided what to do, he goes away, around the corner on the truck. There he goes into someone, after a while, I see that he has bumped into Jennie. 

»I'm sorry« Jennie says, I can see she's ashamed. 

»Watch your step « Kelly says and walks away.

»What the hell is your problem with me? « Jennie asks. 

Kelly turns around and glares at her, but he doesn't say something.

»Huh? Is it that I'm a girl? Cause I'm new?« She continues

»No, It's because you've been lying to everyone!« Kelly yells at her.

» lying? I don't know what you're talking about! « She yells back

»Does that come from Jennie or someone else? « he asks. 

Jennie hesitates, she don't say anything but neither do Kelly. People are starting to gathering up, they propably heard them yell at each other. By now all know that Jennie has a very short fuse and she can explode at any time. 

»So that's what you do? Digging into peoples lives and then using it against them!?« Jennie answers. 

»You know what? You're afraid that everyone else will know who you truly are, you're a lying coward!«

I can see Jennie's gaze, this isn't good. Her fuse has burned down ans she's about to blow. Before anyone can notice she knocks him with her right arm and when her fist meets his cheek he falls against the truck. Everyone runs up to them both and separates them. 

Mostly everyone are familiar with 'you learn something new every day', and today we all learned; Jennie Hayes isn't Jennie Hayes.