Podcast Episode 6- Building Your Scene and Sequel

Episode 6 of the Teen Writers Publish! podcast is now up and available at the website,  or at iTunes and Stitcher Radio. Those two links are on the website as well. Be sure to leave a rating and review at either of those locations as well. We need your feedback in order to make the show better for you!This week, RonEstrada and talk about building your scenes. 

A scene is the basic building block of your novel. Done well, it moves the story forward and gets your protagonist deeper into the conflict. Each scene is actually comprised of a Scene and a Sequel. The scene is where the action takes place. The sequel is your character's reaction to what just happened to him or her.

A Scene is comprised of:1. Goal - your character must have a goal in every scene. It can be big or small.2. Conflict - Something or someone must stand in the way of your character achieving her goal.3. Disaster - throughout most of your novel, you character will not achieve her goals. Even worse, she'll make things worse. We use The Hunger Games as an excellent example on the podcast.

The Sequel is comprised of:

1. Reaction - your character's initial reaction to what just happened. There are many different ways to show different reactions. 2. Dilemma - your character now has to make a choice. Usually there are physical or moral problems with those choices.3. Decision - your character makes his choice, which brings us back to...

That's your next scene. So each scene should directly connect to the next. And every disaster gets your character deeper into trouble until she finally uses her special talents and gifts at the end to emerge victorious! Listen to the detailed version of this lesson, along with examples, on the podcast today.

Please leave your comments about the show, remember to give us a rating on iTunes or Stitcher, and thanks for listening! And subscribe to the podcast and email newsletter on teenwriterspublish.com so you don't miss any insider podcast information and teaching!