Chapter 14

After several hours of waiting, her mother seemed exhausted when she came back into the room. Adele climbed out of Mac's lap and hugged her tight. A few minutes later the doctor called them all back into a conference room to go over results. Mac's eyes met Emily's over Adele's head and she shook her head letting him know the test results weren't good. Mac sat close to Adele with his arm around her as the doctor began to speak.

"As I've told you Emily, the initial tests weren't what we wanted to see and with a diagnosis as this, we need to be 100 % sure. Adele your mother has asked me to speak in as plain terms as I can.  When we did the testing a couple weeks ago, we found the markers for an aggressive form if Leukemia. Unfortunately the newest test confirm what we found. Though it's spread farther. We can start Chemo or radiation therapy, but the truth is neither will help a whole lot. This type of leukemia is rarely responds to either treatment. Both therapies will likely make the rest of your time miserable." Emily held Adele's hand and said "I don't want to spend the rest of my time dealing with medicine that won't work anyway. How long do you think I have without treatment?" The doctor cleared his throat "3-6 Months at the most. That's our best estimate it could be shorter or longer. With this type of Leukemia it's hard to tell." Adele gasped and turned her head into Mac's chest as Emily said "And with the treatment?" The Doctor shook his head and said "It will extend your chances to maybe 7 months. It doesn't tend to slow it down at this stage. If it had been caught sooner then maybe it would have but it has spread to far now. There's already significant damage done to your organs."  Emily said "I don't want to do the treatment. I want to just live out my days as I am. What can we expect now?"

The doctor went on to explain the likely course of action for the disease. How it would affect her and how they would help make her comfortable. Adele's tears fell silently onto Mac's chest as he held her tightly and stroked her hair and back in comfort. He whispered "Baby, you won't be alone. I'll be right here next to you." He kissed her temple and held her tight while listening to the doctor and Emily talk.

Emily stood up and said "Thank You Doctor. Can we have a moment before we leave?" The doctor told them to take their time and once he was gone Emily reached out to touch Adele. Adele turned to her mom and whispered "Oh Mom. Are you sure you don't want to try the treatment?" Emily smiled at her girl "No Honey I don't want to be miserable. I've made my peace with this. There are things we have to talk about but that can wait a day or two. I know you are going to fight against accepting this but I want you to listen to me. There are a couple things I want to do before I get too sick. A few things I want to see. One of those things I didn't know until now."

Adele nodded and said "What's that Mom?" She smiled and said "I want you to meet this brother of yours. I want to meet him and know my girl will have family in this world when I'm gone. I want to take a trip to Texas where I grew up and to the beach. I want to sell my house and move closer to you Honey. I want to help out in the bakery and spend as much time as I can with you. That's enough for now,and I want to see you happy." She looked over at Mac and smiled before finishing "But I see that ones on its way to being taken care of."

Adele said " We'll get everything taken care of Momma. We'll plan the trip and contact a realtor about the house. You can move in with me, you know that house is too big for me." Mac picked up his phone as they were talking and sent a message to his CO.

Mac: I need you to find out how much leave I have built up. If there is anything pressing I may need you to divert it to another team leader or let one of my men take command.

CO: What's going on Mac?

Mac: Remember Adele that called?

CO: Yup, smart girl.. she explained how you met.