Chapter 3

King

"I'm home!" she shouted, sprinting through the front door.

This was our first official day back home since the baby was born and I have to admit it was a breathe of fresh air compared to being in a hospital all day. Zen cradled Aden in her arms while I carried the rest of the bags.

Before I could even put the bags down Zen was already in the nursery Dawn had been designing for quite sometime now. Zen and I had yet to see the finished product and I knew she was anticipating it.

"This is beautiful!" Zen squealed as I followed close behind.

I looked around at the interior design that Dawn had created. I didn't know Dawn was into interior design like this. She did a pretty nice job.

"Do you like it?" She whispered to Aden, cradling him in her arms. The smile on her face was soft and genuine. She was the happiest I had seen her in a long time. Some may think a new baby is a burden, but it is really a blessing in disguise.

"I'm about to head home and get some rest unless you want me to stay here" I mumbled, interrupting Zen. 

"Okay. I'll be fine." She said, not even looking at me.

She's been acting kind of weird lately, but I could tell she was hurt and shit. Since we talked I could see she was trying to distance herself from me. It was annoying the hell out of me that she wouldn't talk, but I understand why she was doing it.

I want to be with Zen and all, but I just can't give all of me to her. I can't just let go of all these other females and pretend like I can be tied down. I'm just not ready for no shit like that.

I left with no other words being exchanged. I couldn't even get a goodbye. I couldn't do anything but hop in my car and drive home.

Instead of going home I decided to go to my momma's house and have a talk with her. It's been a little minute since I've seen her and I know she wants to hear about her first grandson.

__

I arrived at my momma's house within twenty minutes and wasted no time going into the house.

As I unlocked the door and swung the door open the sweet smell of cookies filled the air. My ears perked up at the sound of voices in the living room.

I followed the sounds to the destination. My aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents sat around the room talking and laughing before their eyes landed on me.

Smiles graced their faces and they greeted me pleasantly. I was just as surprised to see them as they were to see me. We weren't usually a close family. I was close with select people of the few, but otherwise we kept our distance. The only time we gathered like this was a death in the family or a family reunion.

"Momma can I talk to you in the kitchen?" I asked after everyone had greeted me.

She nodded and followed me out of the room and out of earshot of everyone else.

"I didn't know you were coming by today baby! Where's Zen?" She exclaimed.

Ever since the first time Zen and momma met they had grown to like each other. Every time I was here she was here, and my momma was beyond thrilled when she discovered that we were having a child together, despite it was out of wedlock.

"She had the baby last Friday. She's at the house getting settled in" I explained.

Her eyes grew wide and the biggest grin adorned her face. "Why didn't you bring them? You know I want to meet my first grand baby! Better yet why didn't you tell me the minute he popped out?" She shouted hitting me in the process.