Chapter 28: Just a Feeling

The school day dragged on, seeming longer than usual. I sat in math class, feeling uncomfortable that just the week before my math teacher had tried to kill me. I shuddered at the thought, squeezing Mason's hand under the desk. The replacement teacher who stood at the front of the class would glance my way every so often, being momentarily distracted from her lesson. Like everyone else in town, she had heard about what happened to me and pitied me because of it. Everyone knew that Mr. Miller had murdered Sophie, and then gone after me in a sick and twisted revenge plot. The only thing they didn't know was why, but none of them were bold enough to ask me. Instead they just stared and then glanced away when I looked at them. As if avoiding what they didn't understand, and unwilling to bring the topic into light.

Maybe I didn't give them enough credit. Despite their fixed stares they were being respectful and giving me the space that I needed to recover. Today was my first day back after all, and while I knew the rumors had been circulating none of them had gotten back to me, yet. My dad had driven me to a therapist two towns over just to be sure that I wasn't going to have a mental or emotional break after what had happened, and to make sure no one would comment on my need for a therapist. They were still always looking for a story, and weren't respectful enough to keep any information to themselves for longer than needed.

Mason on the other hand had been great. All day he had walked me to and from my classes, ate with me at lunch, and now he had switched seats with Brad so that he could be near me in math. I think it was the first time Brad had ever done something for someone else, where he wasn't rewarded in any way. I was thankful because just being in Mason's presence comforted me. I hated to admit it, but it seemed as if he felt guilty for what had happened to me. No matter how hard I tried to convince him that it wasn't his fault, he would never forgive himself. He pointed out that he should have taken me home, and I would remind him that he had offered to take me home while I had turned him down. It wasn't either of our faults because Mr. Miller was going to find any chance that he could to take me. I was just grateful for Mason and all that he had done to help me.

There was no way that he could have known what was going to happen to me; no one could have. Besides, even if he had walked me home, eventually Mr. Miller would have gotten to me or John. I was just happy that it was me, and that I had a way to contact Mason for help. I wasn't sure if John would be that lucky, especially if Mr. Miller had taken his phone as he did to me. Mason should be proud that he had given me the walkie-talkie. It had saved my life, and that's what he should be taking credit for. Not taking the blame for letting me walk home alone. After all, it wasn't the first time he had saved my life either. I was pretty sure that the days he had saved me from being hit by the car on main street were other times where he had saved me from Mr. Miller. Maybe his first plan to kill me had been to reenact the way that his wife had been killed; poetic justice of sorts. When that didn't work, he had to change his tactic. I guess the arrow that he had initially done on Sophie become a way for my mom to know who was doing it, and why.

I shook my head lightly, ridding myself of those thoughts as the bell rang signalling the end of the day. I reached down for my bag, but Mason grabbed it before I could, slinging it over his shoulder with his. I sighed, knowing I could at least carry the bag on my own, but thankful for his action since my wound was still healing, and lifting my bag this morning had caused the scab on my arm to rip open slightly. I stood, and he held my hand firmly in his as we headed out toward the main entrance. I did my best to ignore the whispers of gossip that were floating around us. A few pointed to the bandage on my wrist. I was sure someone had claimed I was a cutter by now and that some of them thought I was going to commit suicide like Sophie. I rolled my eyes at the thought. Rumors were always ridiculously stupid.

All I wanted to do was go home and curl up in bed. I just wanted forget the world around me, and give myself a few moments of solace away from the nosey townspeople. I knew I couldn't sleep lately, and all I wanted was to catch a restful night's sleep and return to my old self, but I didn't see that happening any time soon. I had been wanting and trying adamantly to get a full night of sleep since he had taken me, but I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. I just couldn't get past it. Every time I closed my eyes I thought of Sophie, or Mr. Miller, and each thought became increasingly more disturbing than the next.