Chapter 1 - Age 2

Cover by Magicalez above

I stumbled along the ground, my feet tripping over each other in my haste to get to the end of the long sidewalk next to my house. Behind me my friend, Eli, followed, his blue eyes narrowing in concentration as he fought to keep up with me.

"Rena! Waaait!" I scampered forward, ignoring his plea as I finally placed my chubby hand onto the sharp stone signaling the end of the path. Turning around, I grinned victoriously at him, fixing my eyes on my parents behind him. Mom mom scampered forward, picking me up, her curls bouncing in my face as she grinned at me.

"Hey Rena." She laughed. I giggled, tugging at the arms securely wrapped around my pudgy form. "Know what we should do?"

I wrinkled my nose at her, laughing at the way she suck her tongue out at me. "Leggo o' me!" I giggled. Her eyes gleaming mischievously, she gently placed me on top of the long rock wall towering a whole 3 feet off the ground. My eyes lit up, and I took a tiny step forward. This was a whole new view, a perspective I hadn't yet seen. I was so tall! I was so much taller than Eli, who glared at me from the pavement before waving his arms at his parents.

"Me too!"

The laughed, hoisting him up onto the rock wall. I marched along, my mom gripping my hand in case I would fall. Eli followed me, occasionally swatting me with a plump hand. I turned and glared the most ferocious glare I could, making him giggle a high pitched laugh.

We ruled the sidewalk, that day on the rock wall. There was no one who could challenge us, who could keep us from anything. We were the rulers of the world.

I have been told that memories stick with us because of important emotions that we felt. I suppose that I must have been happy. But now, as I remember this moment from my vantage in the car, all I feel is sadness. I will never remember what it's like to be two again.

If you liked this chapter, remember to vote! Thanks.