Chapter Twenty Three

Dixie could see the frustration etched on Nicky's face as he wheeled the Team 76 motorcycle into the garage and angrily put the kickstand down, climbing off the now-silenced bike and practically leaping off the machine.

He yanked off his helmet and gloves and Dixie could see him having a heated conversation with Cade before storming out of the garage, leaving his equipment behind. Dixie set off after him, and saw him look right and then left out of the garage area, and then focused on a throng of reporters swarming around Rossi's garage, who was also testing on the track prior to qualifications the following afternoon.

Dixie could practically read Nicky's mind and ran to put herself in his path, his long strides eating up the ground. "Don't," she said by way of greeting, putting her hand on his chest to stop him.

He looked down at her with a grim expression. "Move."

"No."

"Dixie, I'm not in the fucking mood," he growled and she shoved him harder with her hand, keeping him in place.

"Don't go talk to the press right now," she said, her tone low but authoritative. "I know you want to bitch to someone who will listen about the crappy ride, but don't go talk to the press. You'll regret it."

"How do you know? And how did you know what I was going to do?" Nicky shot back, his eyes still locked on the reporters.

"This ain't my first rodeo, remember, cowboy?" Dixie said. "Don't dog your team to the press. They'll get it together, so just blow this off or the press will blow it out of proportion."

"I can't," Nicky said, but he reluctantly turned away from the throng and began walking towards the infield.

"Sure you can," Dixie said easily, falling into step with him. "Can I ask you a question?"

"I guess," Nicky said sullenly.

"Are you having any fun?"

"Am I having fun?" Nicky echoed, sounding annoyed.

"Yeah, are you having any fun today?"

"Um, no," Nicky said evenly. "No fun here. Why?"

"I think you need to find some fun," Dixie said, completely serious. "I've been back with the team and you for days now, and I haven't seen you have any fun, or be even remotely happy to be on the bike even one time. Is your ankle hurting that badly?"

"No."

"Is your helmet squeezing your head too tight and depriving your tiny pea brain of oxygen?"

Nicky bit back a grin, wanting to hang on to his previous anger. "No."

"Well, then..." Dixie said as though she'd made a grand point. "You need to find some fun, because you sure as hell aren't doing it on the track, and if you ride like that in quals or in the race, you're going to be in the litter and you know it. You need to get your head on straight, cowboy. Like, now."

Nicky stopped and looked at her for a long moment, his eyes searching hers. After several seconds Dixie squirmed uncomfortably. "You're either plotting my demise or..."

"Can you be ready in an hour?"

"Ready for what?"

"To find the fun," Nicky said with a sly grin. "You suggested it, so you have to follow through in helping me find the fun."

"I would like to stress this fun should not be illegal or immoral in any way," Dixie backpedalled and Nicky laughed.

"Just be at my coach in an hour," Nicky said, looking happier now. "One hour, and don't be late!" he called over his shoulder, jogging into the garage area again.