Chapter 17

"Welcome" Ms. Harrison says as they all filed into the music room "Please, take your places, boys and girls. Chop chop. Come now, we don't have much time" she demanded. 

          Mr. Garrison's class assembled on the riser, sopranos to the left, altos to the right. Wendy had not intention of singing, but she took her place with the altos as she always did. Wedging herself between Bebe and Lola. 

          Wendy got a metal image of Butters Stotch, face bright and eager, singing in last year's winter concert. He sure loved to sing. it didn't seen to matter to him in the least that he "couldn't carry a tune in a bucket" as they say. 

          Ms. Harrison played a few piano notes to the song, a stirring melody with lyrics taken from the poem on the Statue of Liberty. Wendy stood quietly as the kids began to sing around her. Today their voice combined to make a clear sound. 

          "Wonderful!" Ms. Harrison cried. She sat up and looked at them, surprised. "You've got spirit today! You've got juice! Again! Let's take it from the top!" she commanded, beginning to play again. 

          They sang it again and song sounded even more beautiful than before, so much so that Wendy could feel the beginnings of a sound rising from some deep buried place at the bottom of her chest, itching to join in, and it was everything she could do to keep that sound down.