Chapter 27: 1:20 P.M. D.E.A.R.

"Less than two hours to go!" Kenny hallowed out loudly, shoving a fist into the air. 

          Clyde let out a loud whoop.

          "You do that again, we'll have fifteen teachers coming through that door" Kyle said pointing towards the closed doorway "Is that what you want?"

          "Sowwy" Clyde said, pouting and sucking his thumb. 

         At that moment Cartman and Craig burst into the room, both wet from the rain. 

          "Greetings, Bitches!" Craig announced with a formal bow. "Take me to your leader! Give me a towel!"

            "Yo Craig!" Clyde cried out "You finally made it!" He stood up and started to applaud with a golf clap. 

          "I thought you were sick today?" Jenny asked. 

          "Feeling much much better!" Craig bowed again. He shook his head, and water from his raven black hair sprayed all over the place. 

          "Hey! Quit that!" Lola yelled at him. 

          "I wrote a not for him" Cartman proudly said "He skipping into school!"

          "Yes!" Clyde sprang up from his seat to slap Craig a high five. 

          "You guys smell like wet dogs" Red said, wrinkling her nose in disgust. 

          "Thank you!" Craig said, bowing for the third time. He strolled to the front of the room and fell back into Mr. Garrison's empty chair. "I wouldn't miss this for a million bucks"

           Craig pulled out two bags of candy from his backpack and tossed them to Token and Tweek, Token caught his while Tweek spazzed out and dropped it scattering candy all over the classroom floor. 

          "Party time!" Token cried, ripping open the other full candy bag. 

          "You mean D.E.A.R. time" Kyle said, pointing to the board and staring them down .

          Craig chuckled "You're kidding, right?"

          Wendy closed her eyes and pictures Butters Stotch during D.E.A.R., reading with his face close to the book. He always hummed while he read, and he always hummed the same tune: the 1812 Overture. 

            "No way!" Cartman cried "I'm not gonna do D.E.A.R. or D.A.R.E or D.W.E.E.B. or any other stupid thing! We shouldn't be doing ANY work- we've got no teacher! At this rate we're going to get into the Guinness Book or World Wimps!"

            "Mr. Garrison always does D.E.A.R. after lunch" Kyle said, as if that settled it. 

          "Now hear this" Cartman cleared his throat, he cupped his hands around his mouth as if through a megaphone. "I HAVE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE! MR. GARRISON IS NOT HERE. REPEAT! MR. GARRISON IS NOT HERE"

          "That's what you think" Kevin muttered. 

          "I'm reading" Heidi plaintively announced. 

            "Why?" Cartman demanded, crossing two chubby arms across his chest. 

          "Because I happen to enjoy it!" she replied calmly, closing her eyes. 

          "Yeah, me too" Jenny put it. Some of the girls started pulling out their books as well, following Heidi and Jenny's lead. 

          "Look at this" Craig said, stuffing two pieces of bubble gum into his mouth and beginning to chew. He held up a computer disk "Anybody up for playing a little DOOM |||?"

          "Yeah, I do! I'm playing! Lemme go first!" Kevin, Clyde, Cartman, Kenny, Kyle, Stan, Craig, Token and all of the other boys all rushed to the back of the room and crowded around the computer. 

           "You guys are so wicked awesome cool" Red mimicked. 

          "Fact" Clyde smirked back. 

          "Go back to D.E.A.R." Kenny stuck his tongue out a Red. 

            "Shut up" Red squinted her eyes, sending visual daggers his way. 

           "I feel sorry for you" Kenny said. "I really do"

          That's how D.E.A.R. time went. The boys played DOOM |||, the girls read. Wendy looked over at Stan's empty desk. The front of the classroom was empty without the boys, who made up most of the class. 

          Wendy pulled out her book. Why not just call it reading? It's the worlds shittiest title- you didn't drop everything when you read, you picked something up. 

           Still, reading was the best part of the afternoon, especially on a rainy day like this. There was a cozy feeling in the room when the whole class, including Mr. Garrison, read their books together. 

          Wendy picked up her book, A Beginner's Flight Manual. It was the most detailed book she had every read on how to become a pilot. She read slowly so she wouldn't miss a single word. 

          After about ten minutes, Wendy looked up from her book; the room had begun to turn bright. She looked out the window and saw that the rain had stopped and the sunlight was playing sparkling tricks on the new grass. 

          For some reason this sudden light reminded Wendy of her first airplane flight. She was ten years old. The plane left in a heavy rainstorm, rose through thick clouds, and then burst through into the purest sunlight, the bluest skies Wendy had ever seen. 

            Chapter 10: Solo flight. This is the ultimate goal: to fly on your own.