Chapter 17

"What are you waiting for?" Lucy asks. Paige doesn't say a word; she's a little too shocked.

"I don't think you have a choice now," Juli says.

Lucy takes Paige's hand and stands her up. They walk towards the stage, and Lucy hands Paige the microphone. "What song do you want to sing?" she asks.

"Um, I don't really know," Paige replies. "There's not a lot of songs I listen to."

"How about Firework by Katy Perry?" Lucy asks.

"Uh, yeah. I can do that," Paige says. Lucy nods and picks the song on the machine. Soon, it starts playing, and Lucy motions for Paige to go first. She takes a deep breath, while trying not to look at the audience. Soon, the lyrics start, and so does Paige. "Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag," she sings soft yet strong, "Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?"

Picking up the next verse, Lucy continues the song. "Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin . . . " Unlike Paige's voice, Lucy's is confident and loud. Paige likes that, and smiles a little.

"I tooold you you'd like it," Juli sing-songs.
"She's not smiling because she's having fun singing," Emery points out.

"Then why is she--ohhhh!"

"Really, Juli? Really?"

For the rest of the song, the girls take turns singing a part, and they sing the chorus together. When they're done, the audience claps and cheers loudly. Paige smiles bigger and looks at Lucy. Lucy grins back, and they get off the stage.

Paige's planning to go back to her seat and watch some more people singing, but Lucy seems to have other plans, judging from her grabbing onto Paige's arm and leading her out. "Awww, you didn't get to finish your drink!" Juli says.

"Isn't that complaining?" Emery asks.

"No, I'm just being sad."

As soon as they're outside, Lucy lets go of Paige. "Why are you here?" Paige asks almost immediately.

"I was going to ask you the same thing," Lucy replies. "This isn't your normal place to go."

"How would you know?" Paige says sharply.

Lucy looks at her. "I just have a feeling," she says. "Just like I had a feeling you have . . . something going on in your head."

Paige widens her eyes. "Wh-what do you mean?" she asks.

"Oh, yeah. Shit is getting real," Juli says, whistling after.

"Look," Lucy says. "I've seen you talk to yourself. I don't know who you're talking to exactly, but I know something's in there, in your mind." She pauses. "Something that might have convinced you to come here."

"I just came here to have fun," Paige defends.

"But here?" Lucy asks. "Your usual fun would be reading, not watching people sing while drinking coffee."

"Hot cocoa," Paige corrects quietly.

"Do you really think that's important?" Juli asks.

"The point is," Lucy says. "I think something is controlling you."

Paige just looks at her. Lucy wasn't really wrong, but she's not right, either. Paige can see concern on her face, and she feels a little guilty about having to hide. She'd like to tell her about Juli and Emery, but . . .

For the first time in so long, neither voice is telling her this advice Paige's hearing in her head: Don't tell her. It's not worth it.

Paige just shakes her head. "I don't know what you think of me exactly, but I'm fine. Nothing is controlling me," she says. "You don't have to worry about me, alright?"

Lucy takes a seconds before replying, "OK. Fine. I'll back off."

"Thanks." Paige walks away from her crush and the café.

"Wait!" Lucy says. "Aren't you going back inside?"

Paige shrugs. "I can always come back next time," she replies. "Besides, I got a sister waiting at home for me."