Chapter 25

After a long day of school and work, Paige comes home tired. She yawns and puts her backpack down. She hasn't noticed Anika jumping around, asking if Paige can take her back to the bookstore.

"Can we, Paigey?" her sister presses.

"No, Anika," Paige says. "I'm really tired, and I haven't slept much." She yawns. "I only want to relax for a long time."

"Maybe you should eat first?" Emery suggests. "You skipped lunch, and I know you don't like eating breakfast."

"Good idea," Paige says quietly. She goes to the kitchen and gets some crackers out. She rips the foil open and starts munching on them. After about 5, she's had enough. She puts them away and goes up to her room.

Closing the door behind her, Paige checks her phone for any new notifications, texts, or calls. When there's none, she turns it off.

"You two, I know you like to argue when I'm sleeping, but can you be quiet tonight?" Paige asks the voices. Before they can answer, she adds, "Thanks. Appreciate it."

The party animal huffs. "Fine," Juli says. "Have it your way."

"But don't get crazy," Emery quips. Both voices crack up as an annoyed bookworm falls onto her bed. Paige curls up, and in seconds drifts off to sleep.

_______

Paige is woken up by someone shaking her. She grumbles, opens her eyes, and sees Anika staring down at her.

"Someone's here to see you," Anika whispers. "She says you're meeting here today."

"Huh?"

"She also says that she's sent you numerous texts that she's coming over," Anika adds to a confused Paige.

Paige sits up and sees a dark figure at her doorway. She squints to see better, and recognizes the figure as Lucy. Paige widens her eyes as she realizes what the day is. "Oh. Our study session here. Right. Um, thanks for waking me, Anika." Paige feels embarrassed about having Lucy see her at a somnloent state.

"Wait," her sister says excitedly. "This is the person you talked about?"

Lucy laughs as Paige fumbles over her explanation that yes, Lucy is the person, and no, Anika cannot join them. Both girls need to study alone. "I promise, when Lucy's over again, and we feel less panicky about our grade, then we can play with you," Paige assures.

"OK."

Anika sadly leaves the room. Looking at her, Lucy asks Paige, "Were you like that when you were little?"

"What do you mean?" the bookworm replies.

"I mean, did you look like her when you were her age?"

"Oh." Paige thinks about it. "Um, I think so," she says. "I don't really know."

Lucy watches Anika enter her room, where Paige assumes is going to do nothing but read. "Were you fun to learn about?" she asks.

Paige shrugs. "I talked to adults more than I talked to kids." She sits by her bed and takes the pile Lucy has brought. She sorts through them to make sure everything they need is there. And then grabs a can of color pencils to add little decorations for the final project.

All while avoiding Lucy's gaze.

"You . . . never associated with kids?" she asks as Paige shuffles around some more in the pile. Lucy doesn't budge, not even to sit down.

"I did," Paige says. "They never went well."

"Why?"

"I don't think Lucy came here for schoolwork," Juli says.

"I'd normally point that out and call you Captain Obvious," Emery starts. "But I don't know what's going on exactly."

Paige shrugs. "My interests were different, I guess." She pats on the floor next to her, and Lucy sits down.

"So, did you ever have friends?" Lucy questions. "At all at that age?"

"If I said yes, would you believe me?" Paige answers. Lucy gives her a blank look, and Paige adds timidly, "I'll takes it as a no."

"You had to have a friend at some point, right?"

"You know, I think we should gossip less and work more," Paige interrupts. She stays quiet as she picks up a small pile of papers.

Lucy pauses. "You know, that excuse is going to get old soon," she points out.

"I know. I'm going to use it as much as I can get."