eyelids // tyler joseph

A/N: the sun rose a while ago and i still can't fall asleep so i might as well write this.
this is a songfic based on eyelids by pvris. i've been really getting into pvris recently and i think this song would be really nice to write about. i kind of had writer's block a little bit so i'm sorry if it's not as good whoops. check out the song if you haven't listened to it!

disclaimer: i do not own this song. all rights go to the band pvris.

Word count: 932

***

It was around 2 AM. Tyler and I were tired enough, barely able to keep our eyes open for a few minutes more, but somehow we both refused to go to sleep, desperately fighting against the heaviness of our eyelids. This would be the last day we would be able to see each other before Tyler went on tour for another few months, traveling all over the world and I was unable to come along because of some huge project at work.

I'll face my fear of the evening
Once I get used to this feeling.
I can't sleep,
That's when you're torn away from me.
While I'm dreaming, I feel you leaving.

Finally, without a choice, we were forced to say goodnight, the overwhelming feeling of sleepiness swallowing our entire beings. The words came out choked and dry, because we both knew when morning came, it would be time to say goodbye yet again, having spent only a few weeks together and that just wasn't enough.

His hand reached for mine and our fingers laced together as I rested my head in the crook of his neck. Then we both drifted off to sleep, holding on tight as if it would be the last time we'd see each other.

I'll face my fear of the sunrise
When I wake up with your hand inside mine.
It's hard to say "good morning"
When it's followed with "goodbye".

Morning came quicker than I'd wanted it to and I was woken up by Tyler, who was softly brushing the strays of my hair out of my face. My eyes fluttered open to meet with Tyler's warm brown ones and he smiled, his hand grazing my cheek. "Morning, beautiful," he said in his raspy morning voice and I grinned sleepily, burying my head in his chest, feeling the warmth radiating from his skin.

"Good morning, Ty. What time is it?"

"Almost seven."

I groaned. "That early?"

"I have to get to the airport in about an hour, (Y/N/N). I think we need to get up soon."

My grin turned into an immediate frown at the reminder of him leaving and I held him just a bit tighter.

"Wait, Tyler... Just stay with me for a few more minutes. Please?" I pleaded, shutting my eyes and breathing in the scent of his T-shirt.

Tyler sighed, knowing what was about to come next. He wrapped his hands around my waist and pressed a light kiss to my forehead. "Of course I will."

Our eyes fighting the light,
But I'm not ready to say "good night".
I try and hold on tight 'cause it's just not time to say "good night"
Say good night.

Skip to the next few nights and here I am, lying in bed alone while Tyler is off somewhere in Asia with Josh and their crew, performing nonstop for their fans. I'd turn to the left side of the bed--his side--and imagine that he's right there next to me. I'd think of the way he holds me--gently and protectively--and the way his warm skin feels against mine on cold, winter days. I miss the way he talks; the way he presses small kisses to my forehead that would send dozens of butterflies swarming in my stomach; the way he plays his ukulele for me sometimes when I'm down and sings me pretty sounds to fall asleep to; I miss his comforting touch and his soothing words and without them, I feel like I'm going insane from this complete and utter loneliness.

I'll face my fear of the cold nights
When you leave me behind.
I felt your hands in my hair,
I felt your breath on my neck,
Yeah, I need to feel you again.

Our eyes fighting the light,
But I'm not ready to say "good night".
I try and hold on tight cause it's just not time to say "good night".
Say good night.

I fall asleep that night, thinking about Tyler and how happy he is to be out there, in another whole continent, doing what he loves most and sharing that love with the world. I only hope he's thinking of me.

These eyes are closed again for yet another night.
I wake up and I can feel you by my side,
but I can't find you in the dark when you're so far.
Yeah, that's the hardest part.
Here comes the hardest part.

Our eyes fighting the light,
But I'm not ready to say "good night".
I try and hold on tight cause it's just not time to say "good night".
Say good night.

In the early morning, I awake to find two notifications on my phone, indicating a missed call and a voicemail, both from Tyler. Surprised, I open them up eagerly and play the voicemail. His soft, raspy voice comes from the other end, barely above a whisper, and I smile as I hear him say:

"I mean... In what world do I go to sleep after you and wake up before you? I don't even know how that happens. Well, I hope you're having sweet dreams, and... you call me when you wake up."