Prologue

amazing cover done by the wonderful CarKann!! thanks so much :)

_________________________________________________________

1748 London

A man in a black suit had been following young Fleur for miles since she'd left the home of a friend. It was terribly late and the cobbled streets were wet and deserted. She could hear the soft padding of his feet against the stones as he ambled along, desperately trying to appear casual but every time she turned a sharp corner he followed her eagerly.

It was a dangerous time and Fleur knew no woman should be out this late alone. Gathering her skirts about her she grew tiresome of this charade and began to run as the familiar building of her home loomed nearby. But then the sounds of the footsteps faded, she slowed to a stop and looked around her. She was quite alone again.

Breathing a sigh, Fleur carried on down the path but just as she went to cross the street the man reappeared again from around the corner. He grabbed her arm and put a hand over her mouth as she tried to shout and scream before pulling her backwards into a nearby alley. Fleur wept as he put a small knife to her throat whilst his other hand traced the contours of her body. Greedily pawing at her breasts before shoving his tongue down her throat.

"I bet you taste delicious." He whispered menacingly, pressing his hand against the apex of her thighs.

"And they call me a beast."

The man stopped and stared at her. The normal pale green eyes turned darker then became extremely bloodshot whilst her teeth lengthened into sharp fangs. With no warning Fleur grabbed him and pinned him to the wall with strength no woman of her slight figure should possess. She grabbed at his groin, being less delicate than he had been and squeezed till he screamed.

Only then did she cover his mouth like he had before pulling his head back and biting into his throat. The man's squeals and frantic squabbles ceased, as the sweet relief of a vampire's bite rolled over him and he gladly welcomed the darkness that subdued him. Fleur could taste his pulse begin to waver and then left him to bleed out on the cobbled road.

A solo applause rang out it in the night whilst Fleur hastily dabbed away the blood on her chin with her dainty handkerchief. She turned around to find another man watching her. A man she had met long before she had been turned.

"Pierre?"

"Long time no see, Miss Roselius." The man's deep voice echoed in the silent night.

"I do not understand. Last time I saw you, you were human."

"I still am."

"But that was nearly two centuries ago."

"I had a long nap after the last trouble you caused me. I needed to gather my strength."

"Are you here to kill me?"

"No, quite the opposite."

Fleur laughed, "We brought each other only pain. I doubt you are here to extend your friendship again."

"I merely wish for you to visit a town that could use your help."

"I like London, I have no intention to leave here." Fleur said, starting back in the direction of her home.

"Just a visit then. I promise you, the city won't disappoint."

"And what is this city's name?"

"New Orleans. My hometown."

"Why would I go there?"

"Because it is a place you will find home with others like you. And many others wishing to be like you."

"A competition for the food? No thank you."

"These people need someone like you."

"Well, why the hell can't you help them? If this is your hometown?"

"One: I'm about to go for another cap nap. Two: they don't want my help. They don't trust me nor want to be affiliated with the kind of magic I conjure."

"Give me one good reason why I should help them then."

"Because I am invested in your future."

Fleur stopped and turned back to gaze at him.

"I don't like threats or riddles, Mr Gautreau."

Pierre chuckled, "It's merely a statement."

"One that I do not understand."

"You don't have to. Not yet. I have left details of your transportation in your boudoir along with enough money to last you till you find a permanent residence once you arrive in Louisiana."

"You once described your home to me as the armpit of civilisation. Why would you want to help it now?"

"Because I have seen that it can be more. But it needs someone to guide it into a new age and I have chosen you."

"I don't work well with others. I prefer to be alone."

"Just take a visit. If you don't like it, come back here and prey in the shadows."

Fleur sighed then turned around and carried on back towards her house. She opened the door and looked over her shoulder to see Pierre exactly where she left him.

"Sweet dreams, Pierre."

"Safe travels, Fleur."

And then the empty cobbled street was quiet once again. Nothing lurked in the shadows. The dead man's body wouldn't be found till early the next morning with his eyes being pecked out by ravens.

Pierre returned to his sleeping chambers and dreamt of the day he would meet the Queens. He hadn't warned Fleur about the wolf pup and the witch, though it would be centuries before they were born. He felt in unnecessary.

And highly amusing.

Lying down upon his pillows, he smiled and chuckled to himself before the long sleep welcomed him into the deathlike slumber.

n