Post-Flight Trauma

"You want anything?" Skulduggery asked, looking through the menu.

"Nah, I'm grand," Valkyrie replied, "I ate at the hotel."

They were on a flight to Ireland.
Not quite Dublin, but Ireland.

"So, explain to me again what's happening."

He sighed. "The last flight to Dublin was a couple of hours ago, so obviously we didn't make it. But there was one flight going over to Galway that suited us time-wise. So, here we are..."

"Flying to Galway?"

"...flying to Galway," he agreed, "But, obviously, that's on the other side of the country to Dublin. So we're going to have to hire another car and drive home."

"Why don't we just get Fletcher to teleport us over?"

"Because no one knows where either of us are."

"What?!"

"Well, obviously you were missing, so of course no one knows even remotely where you are."

"And you?"

"When you called me two days ago, I didn't want to waste time in case you ran away again..."

"So you arranged everything yourself?"

"And forgot to tell anyone, yes," He nodded, "but I realised that it would probably be nice to give them a surprise; their favourite person in the world," Valkyrie smiled, "and his best friend who's been missing for five years, coming home after years of misery." Valkyrie shot daggers with her eyes.

"So, where do you think they think you are?"

"Don't have a clue, nor do I care really. They'll probably all love me when I bring you back anyway, so it doesn't matter."

"Riiight," she said, laughing.

"Ladies and gentlemen," a voice crackled from the intercom, "welcome to our plane. My name is Connie, and I'll be you're head flight attendant for this flight..."

She began to list off the emergency exits, and another flight attendant displayed how to use the life jackets. Skulduggery and Valkyrie watched politely.

"If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask flight attendants during the flight. We'd like to thank you for travelling with us, and hope you have a pleasant flight."

The engines began to rumble. Valkyrie lay back in her seat, watching the plane move from the window.

"You like flying, Skul?" She asked.

Silence.

"Skul?" She turned.

He was sitting in his seat, as rigid as she's ever seen him, his gloved hands digging into the armrest. The fake eyes of his façade alternated between looking around wildly or staying shut. He was breathing short, quick breaths.

"Skulduggery!"

He glanced at her, and tried to smile. He grimaced instead.