Chapter Five - For The First Time

An hour later Norman stopped the car in front of my favourite place of the world: Eos' Beauty Care. It wasn't a fancy, celebrity place - it was a family place. I was a customer since I was ten, the first time I had dyed my hair into flaming red. I was twelve when I decided to change the color into gray - and since then I hadn't changed that habit.

The owner, Eos I-can't-even-sound-out-her-family-name was Greek but she lived in New York City since she was two years old and she never went back to Greece again. Anyway, she thought being named after the godess of the dawn was badass (even if she always wanted to be named after Aphrodite, the godess of beauty and love).

I looked out of the window of the monster Jeep, up to the headboard of the saloon I had made for Eos for the 10th birthday of the saloon, when I was seventeen. I remembered as I was so eager to make a proper Greek-style painting onto the board, I was working on that project for weeks, did a huge research of the Greek art style and Norman always tried to give in his ideas - which I totally refused - then when I finally finished the work, he helped me took on the board in the middle of the night to make a huge surprise for Eos. I will never forget her face as she recognized the new headboard of the saloon. For the first time I was so proud of myself. Right after the little party I went straight to my dealer and disappeared for two weeks.

The bad memory startled me out of day-dreaming and made me realize that Norman had been talking to me for long minutes. 'Ya okay?' He asked me when he saw my confused face. I only shrugged my shoulders. 'If you say so...' He added, a bit annoyed but said nothing more. I mentally rolled my eyes then got out of the car and headed toward the saloon. I only wanted to be a bit pampered and surrounded with ol' good friends. Suddenly, I realized that I had no money to pay, so I turned back to the car - then I saw Norman, out of the car, following me on the way.

'What are you doing?' I asked him, like it was forbidden to him going on the same way as I do.

'I'm comin' with ya.'

To let you know, since Norman had been taken a part of The Walking Dead and had been growing his prescious hair, he had an own hair dresser who cut, straightened and adjusted his locks, almost every second week - especially on photoshoots. But there was no precedent to have him beside me when I went to Eos' saloon. Never. Sometimes he dropped me off at the place but never come in and babysit me. For long seconds I was staring at him like I wasn't able to understand him. I saw him looking at me like I turned insane or something, his concern was touchable.

'Ya alright?'

'Not sure.' I answered and blinked for a few times, to get back my concious. 'Why?' The question was as simple that Norman eyes showed me true surprise. Usually I was furious when he did something I did not like. Then I was only confused.

'Reira.' He started and for the first time since I left the institute, he lit on a cigarette.

Cigarette. I haven't gotten one since I stepped into the institute...

Norman recognized my appetie and hold out the pack for me. I hesitated for a moment and Norman raised one eyebrow. I knew what he was thinking: I literally acted strange. Like I wasn't me. Me, hesitating on having a cigarette?! Never! I would have rather stole his whole box of cigarettes in the past...

But I just couldn't get rid off the thought that this is my last chance for a normal life, when I don't need anybody to help me live my life. I don't know, but I kinda thought that quitting of all my bad habits would be a good way to start a better life. So with that force, I shook my head, saying no to the offer.

And then Norman almost choke by the smoke. 'Ya kidding me?' For a second I remembered that I didn't want him to know about my inner change and it hit me: what if I can't change? What if in a week I'm gonna end up on the streets again, with a needle in my arm? I wanted to feel determined, strong in mind and body - but it was too soon. I could only feel the dread of the unknown future, the meeting with the old friends...

'Reira...' I heard my name falling off of Norman's lips again. I already forgot what he was about to tell me earlier, but it'd seem he didn't. 'In the past years I've been watchin' ya suffer and fight against me and the world but I know ya have had the biggest fights with yourself. The drugs, the self-harm, the... the.. Ya know.' I knew what he was thinking of. All the attempted suicides... 'It was all because ya can't find the one thing you can live for. And ya thought ya could find happiness at those drugholes you'd been hidin.' Painful memories came into my mind. Norman, as he and the cops broke into my hiding places, looking for me after weeks of absence... I almost cried, but then he went on, on a tone I only heard him talking on when he really tried to convince me. 'I trust you, Reira. I know that you can make it now. But I know that these first days are critic for you. And I want to be here for you anytime you need me. The point is... I'm not going to give up on you. Ever.'

And then I cried. Inside of me. Deep inside of me. I still tried to look like I'm cold-hearted, the girl who doesn't even care that the only person who ever cared about her tries to make her sure he won't leave her - ever. 'Okay.' I started, trying to sound like anytime before. I'm careless, reckless, emotionless. 'But this doesn't answer me why you want to come inside with me to the saloon?'

He let out a half-hearted chuckle then took a long drag of his already half burned cigarette. I could see the fight on his face, the fight with himself about letting me win or not. It took a while, but then he took out his wallet and gave me a twenty. 'I'll be back in an hour to pick ya up.' He said finally, his voice became lower. He was disappointed.

But I couldn't do that to him. I couldn't make him believe that I can care about him more than before.

Before I could have even said a thank you, he hurried back into his car and headed into the traffic and I could only see him turning left on the corner and he disappeared.

For the first time in my life I felt I would kill to sit in that evil monster car, right next to my savior.