Chapter Nine

The next few days were the happiest Charles or Rebecca could ever remember. Charles could not believe that he had wasted so long not being a part of this family.

The day dawned bright and blue and Charles wrapped his arms tighter around Rebecca's sleeping body. He kissed her hair and she woke up and looked up at him with a sleepy smile.

"Good morning." he said. She curled up closer to him, wrapping her leg over his.

"Very good morning." she said.

"I can't help but notice that there is no one yelling this morning." Charles said. Rebecca listened for a moment and smiled.

"Bethany, Greg, Jordan and Kent all are gone to Rome I think. Jordan said she wanted to take a romantic trip before she starts waddling." Charles shook his head but smiled a happy smile.

"I missed out on so much with Kaylee, Kayleb and Laney but I'm going to make up for it with this one." he said. Rebecca kissed him gently.

"I know you will. Sometimes I still feel like I'm dreaming when I wake up in your arms. I never thought this would happen for us." Charles kissed her passionately.

"You're not dreaming." he assured her.

"Prove it." she said. "Make love to me again." Charles growled and happily accepted the challenge.

888

They walked downstairs an hour later and found Raquel, Evan, Joey, Lane, Angela and Jake in the kitchen.

"Where are the kids?" Rebecca asked as she watched Charles walk over and fill the tea pot with water and set it on to boil.

"Laney, was dying to go out and play so Kaylee and Kayleb took her for a walk in the woods." Angela said taking a sip of her coffee.

"Jake, I was thinking the other day about how long you all have been living in this house.. When do you plan on moving somewhere new? Aren't the mortals starting to get suspicious about everyone's agelessness?" Charles asked sitting down across from his son. Jake wrapped his arms tighter around Angela in his lap.

"If anyone has noticed they haven't said anything." he said. Lane winked.

"That's the beauty of this day and time. Plastic surgery and botox are the new big thing. People don't expect you to get old. We would stand out more if we starting getting wrinkles and gray hair." he said.

"Besides I figure since the twins are already in high school we might as well stay long enough for them to finish and then we'll figure out where we want to go." Jake added. Charles nodded.

"I wasn't trying to question your judgment. I can see that you've done a good job keeping the family together. I will admit at first I questioned the wisdom of letting Angela and Joey into the family. Two mortal born women..." Charles paused at the sound of Jakes low growl. "But I was wrong." he added quickly. "You have done a good job."

"Jake hasn't had to work nearly as hard to keep us safe the last few years. Now that no one is out making enemies on a daily basis we all have much more peaceful lives." Raquel said and Charles could see the warning in her eyes. He sighed.

"I have already promised everyone that the man I used to be is gone. I won't hunt anymore and I won't put my family in danger." Rebecca wrapped her arm around his shoulders and kissed his cheek.

"I'm sure Raquel knows that. She just worries about her kids." she said gently.

"I wonder how long they are going to be gone." Lane said looking out the window at the gathering storm clouds.. "It's starting to look pretty nasty out there."