In a Coma

Lottie's POV

*Flashback*

"Cross!" I heard Stella yell. The opposing team crossed. But before it could reach her, Stella stumbled and the ball hit her head. She crumpled to the ground. Everyone ran to her, Bella sobbing. She was blubbering on how sorry she was and Vanessa, Clarisse, Ellie, and Fiona comforted her. I just rushed past the five of them and knelt at Stella's side. Oh Stella, why didn't you listen to me? I thought to myself angrily. She shouldn't have been here in the first place. My vision turned red and I stood up and punched a tree. I didn't realize until then that I was crying. The tears spilled all over my face. I felt a reassuring hand on my shoulder and looked up to meet my dad's gaze. He smiled sadly and nodded just a bit. He told me with his eyes to tell them as much as I knew. I sighed and went over to the two cars prepared to go to the ER.

"Coach, can everyone just go in your van? I have something to tell everyone," My voice trembled as I said this. He nodded solemnly and the girls all piled into the middle seat and back row. My dad and coach got shotgun and driver's seats. Once everyone sat down, coach set Stella down gently on the people's laps who were sitting in the front. I sat at the far left in the center and smoothed Stella's hair. Bella sat in the middle between me and Zoey.

"Guys, there are some things you should know about Stella..."I started uncertainly.

"Well, we're a team, aren't we? We need to be one! In ores for that to happen, we need to know everything," Zoey said, "So go on!"

"I think that was what she was trying to do, Zoey," Fiona smirked. Clarisse nodded at me to go on.

"Well, you see, Stella has always had breathing problems and it has to do with how weak her heart is. The doctors told her she had a limit, but she didn't listen. Ever since she moved in with me, she's always tried to fit in the group. No one really seemed to notice her. You guys would just pass her in the hallways without so much as a 'Hi'. She really, really liked you, so she sacrificed her health to get your friendship. How else do you think she's in everywhere sport that at least has one or two of you in it? Stella's had a dark past and-" I just broke off, I couldn't bear it anymore. I started to cry, my tears soaking into Stella's beautiful honey blonde hair. As I looked around, Fiona and Bella were both crying and Zoey, Vanessa, Clarisse, and Ellie all had broken looks in their eyes. Mellie, Alexis, and Hannah were on the verge of tears. Until we reached to hospital, you could hear nothing but wailing. Coach and dad were both crying silently and I myself didn't dare hold the tears back any longer. In the ER, the doctors immediately recognized me and Stella and led us all to Stella's reserved room.

*End of flashback*

"Oh Stella, again? In here, there's nothing but bad memories for you. You don't deserve any of this," I hear a nurse murmur quietly. I don't know her, but she looks familiar. I look down at Stella and realize that they look really similar. I furrow my eyebrows and wonder at that.

"Will she be alright?" My tone is urgent. I can't lose Stella now! We've been through too much together. She doesn't deserve what she has. She deserves more.

"By the looks of it," the nurse replies after consulting with the doctor, "She's in a comatose. That's when-"

I cut her off, "I know what a comatose is. What I want to know is: How long will she be in a coma?"

"There is no answer for that. Some people come out of comas only days after they were in it. Others stay in comas for months. But one thing is clear. The longer someone is in a coma, the more unlikely it is they will come out."

"But she CAN'T be in a coma," I start to hyperventilate.

"Calm down, miss. She's in good hands," the doctor assures me.

"But sir! She's got an awfully weak heart!" I protest.

"We'll look into that. Now, please, go sit in the waiting room with your friends, I'll come with a diagnosis soon," he says firmly.

"Of course. Please take care of her," I walk dejectedly towards my dad.

"He said we have to wait," I inform him.

"And wait we will. You know, they're very capable. I'm sure she'll be fine," my dad reassures me.

"But..." I still don't like the idea, but I don't have a better solution or argument. So for now, I tilt my head onto my dad's shoulder and sigh.

"Sleep well, my darling," he smooths my hair. Before my eyes shut, I see the team, all on their phones.

a/n: Hello! Chapter three here! I positive that this story will be a short one! Thank you for all the support!!!

mer