Coming Clean

"Dani must you really not pay attention?" I heard Marissa ask. I glanced up from the newly acquired book Ororo gave me. Marissa was raising her eyebrows in an annoyed fashion. We were sitting in the cafeteria and I hadn't even touched my lunch. Personally I wasn't even that hungry.

"Sorry Marissa. I was reading." I gave my attention back to the book.

Marissa slapped the table. "I can see that."

I ignored her and flipped the page.

"You know, having your head in a book for too long can cause some serious brain damage."

I sighed and rubbed my temple. "Actually, I find this to be really thrilling."

"It's a book about two people who fall in love! How is that thrilling?"

"Well, Edward is a vampire who wants to drink Bella's blood, but he also loves her at the same time. Though Bella could use some better footing and Edward could be a little less dramatic. But I think the author did a fantastic job describing these things called 'vampires'." I made little air quotations. "Honestly though, they just sound plain creepy."

"They suck people's blood, of course their creepy! Now could you please eat something before you have an internal combustion?"

I closed the book hard and slammed it on the table. "If I do, will you stop pestering me?"

Marissa crossed her heart.

I rolled my eyes and started to eat a bit of my sandwich. Even though it was pretty good, I was hungry for more Twilight.

I flipped the book open to my last spot where Bella had just found out that Edward was a vampire. Then suddenly, it was ripped out of my hands.

"Hey! What-" I looked up to see Logan reading the back of the book.

"Hmph," he grunted and handed the book back to me. "Women and their books." He stalked off again.

"Why is everyone bothering me about this book? Even you seem a bit annoyed by my reading it."

"I'm annoyed because I'm in the middle of talking and you're sitting there reading a bloody romance."

I exhaled loudly. "You said if I ate something you would stop bothering me."

"I meant all of it," she complained.

"Fine," I griped and reached for the rest of my food. Shoving it down, I swallowed the last of my apples and opened the book again.

"Dani!" I heard a voice shout.

"Really?" I asked and turned around to the voice. Warren was running up to me with a concerned expression.

"Oh." My face flushed. "Warren, what is it?"

"Ororo needs to see you," he said as he stopped in front of the table.

I raised my eyebrows. "What for?"

"I don't know. She wanted me just to tell you she needed you."

"Can it wait a minute?" I asked and glanced back at my book.

"No," he said. "She sounded angry and then really confused," he added.

I groaned. "Fine, I'm coming." I got up from the table and followed Warren to Ororo's office. When we reached the door, I heard raised voices. Opening it up, Ororo was standing with her arms crossed over her chest and Logan with his face taught and his jaw tight.

"Daniella, could you please sit over there?" Ororo pointed towards the chair to my right.

I gave her a questioning look but sat down anyway.