Born for this

"Are you sure about this?" My dad asked as I laced up my black boots.

"Yes, dad. I want to be Dauntless."

"Okay, but just make sure it's what you want. Your choice is permanent and the initiation process is tough."

I smiled up at him, remembering all the stories he'd told me about his life at Dauntless.

"I'll remember everything you taught me. Besides, you know I'm a hard worker."

"I'll know sweety. But I can still worry. Your sister will be proud of you."

"I'll make sure to give her your love, dad."

With a tight embrace, I spent my last few moments at home locked in a hug. Today was the choosing ceremony, and it felt like I'd anticipated this day for years, although it's only been 6 months that I made my decision. My aptitude test yesterday set my choice in concrete as my results practically screamed Dauntless.

"We should go so we can get good seats. Plus I'm sure Jeanine will have an elaborate speech beforehand." Dad said, guiding me out into the foyer.

"That woman never shuts up." I said, rolling my eyes.

Can you tell that I'm a Candor yet?

******************************

"Jasmine Carter."

With a quick kiss on the cheek, I left my father's side to make my transition to my rightful faction. Both my parents were Dauntless - borns, it's in my blood. My older sister already transferred there two years ago, and I'm sure my younger sister will do the same. I know my mom would be proud of me today.

Adjusting my white long sleeve shirt over my leggings, I descended the stairs and smiled up at Marcus Eaton as I stood in front of the table. Picking up the knife that still shone from the wetness of the disinfectant, I gripped it anxiously as I stared down at the choices before me.

With a nervous breath, I quickly slit the edge of my Palm and squeezed a few drops of blood onto the coals of Dauntless.

"Dauntless!" Marcus announced, and a sea of black jackets erupted into cheers.

Placing my thumb over my cut to stop the bleeding, I smiled up at my dad as he blew me a kiss goodbye. A young Dauntless man met me halfway and stuck a bandage on my cut before guiding me to en empty seat with a smile. This was it. I was Dauntless now.

The rest of the ceremony buzzed by quickly, and soon I was running with the pack across the parking lot and towards the train tracks. A girl running beside me smiled, and I immediately noticed her Amity attire. Wow, what a change.

It wasnt hard getting onto the train, especially since I was conditioned for it. I'd always been toned and athletic with tons of energy and motivation. Like I said, it was in my blood.

The Amity girl plopped down beside me, adjusting her skirt. And tucking a lock of jet black hair behind her ear. Her dark skin and brown eyes complimented her outfit well.

"Hi, I'm Jackie."

"Jasmine. Nice to meet you."

"You're doing a lot better than me so far. You look like you were born for this."

"That's because I was born for this. My parents were Dauntless-borns. "

"Wow, that's exciting."

It felt like just a few minutes before everyone was getting back up and opening the doors. I looked at Jackie with a questioning glance.

"Are we here already?" She asked.

I peeked out the window and watched as the Dauntless were jumping from the train onto the rooftop of a building we were passing.

"Oh shit, we have to jump again." I said, backing up against the opposite wall.

Jackie jumped just after I did, and landed a few feet to my left. For being such a scary jump, surprisingly I landed on my feet. It boosted my confidence significantly,  and I was already feeling fearless. Ready for the next task.

But I spoke too soon, and we approached a man who stood on the ledge at the other side. Something told me this wouldn't be as easy as jumping from a train.

"I'm Eric, one of your leaders. This here is the way into Dauntless. " He said in a deep, intimidating tone.

Eric was tall, probably towering around six feet or more. His hair was shaved on the sides and styled neatly atop his head, there were piercings above his eye and in his ears, tattoos on his neck, and an icy glare in his dark eyes. His jaw was clenched as he scanned the small crowd of us, his eyes meeting mine for just a moment.

"So, who's gonna jump first?" He asked with a satisfied grin.

This was it, this was my moment to prove myself!

"Jump?" A dark haired Erudite asked nervously.

"What's the matter? Scared?" Eric asked.

The boy didn't reply.

That's when I stepped forward, hand raised eagerly.

"I want to go first." I announced.

The leader stared at me with inquisitive eyes, and for a moment I thought I saw a hint of surprise behind the cold stare.

"Well let's see it, Missy." He offered, gesturing his hand towards the ledge as he stepped down into the gravel.

I walked up and hopped onto the ledge, staring down at the hole that I would hopefully fall through. I didn't expect it to be such a long fall.

You can do this Jasmine, you're Dauntless!

"Well?" Eric asked, giving me an expectant look.

I just rolled my eyes, and shut them tight before stepping off the ledge and free falling through the air.