Privacy

Finally landing on something taught but flexible, I let out the breath I'd been holding. I could see somebody, probably Eric, peeking over the ledge of the rooftop at me. I looked down and realized I landed on a net, then over to my left where a young Dauntless man pulled on the side to roll me towards the edge.

He was tan, with large brown eyes and caramel colored hair. He didn't have any tattoos or piercings that I could see, and in my opinion he looked a lot friendlier than the stone faced leader above us.

He grabbed my waist to help me down, but I politely pushed his hands away and dropped onto my feet myself. His eyebrow cocked a little, but he gave me a small smile and asked, "What's your name?"

"Jasmine." I said softly.

He turned to the small group of others that were standing around talking.

"First jumper, Jasmine!" He announced, and I received a round of applause just as the next person landed on the net.

*************************

After everyone came down, The man at the net introduced himself as Four, and gave the transfers a tour of the compound while the Dauntless-borns followed their trainer to dinner.

Finally we reached the dormitories, and I can say that I expected something a little better than this.

The room was large and equipped with twenty cots and a foot locker at end of each.

Okay, looks like we'll be getting dressed in the bathroom then.

But then Four showed us the bathroom, and it was even worse. It was like the Barracks that my great grandfather explained to me when he was in the military, back before the world went to shit. When you're a Marine, you don't get any privacy. That's how I felt right now.

All the toilets were lined up against the wall right next to each other, and the showers were just the same on the opposite wall.

"There aren't any walls or curtains?" Someone asked.

"Nope. I suggest you all get comfortable with each other pretty quick, you'll probably end up holding the sheet for your neighbors." He said.

"Dinner is in twenty minutes, your clothes are stacked up in the back of the room."

And with that, Four was up the steps and out the door, leaving us standing around feeling dumbfounded.

"Well, let's all just get naked and show everything to the world while we're at it." I said, breaking the silence.

It felt good to hear some people laugh. But one girl, who looked to be from Erudite, stepped forward and nudged past me with a scowl. Jackie was by my side, and she just shrugged her shoulders when I furrowed my brow.

After finally managing to get dressed without flashing the entire room, I followed Jackie out of the dorms and dropped my Candor clothes into the firepit before going to dinner.

Hamburgers and baked beans were tonight's main course, and I didn't protest when my stomach instantly began to rumble at the sight of the beef pattie before me. An Erudite boy sat on front of me, and his puzzled green eyes examined the burger on his tray.

"If you don't want it, I'll gladly eat it for you." I said with a reassuring smile.

I was gifted with the ability to lighten a mood with humor, and it worked on him. He let out a laugh.

"Thanks, but I'm pretty hungry. It just doesn't look very appetizing."

"I'm Jasmine by the way." I said.

"Keith, nice to meet you." He replied, flashing a white smile.

Keith was nice, and he chatted with Jackie and I throughout the entirety of dinner. He was lean but not very tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Towards the end of the hour, Max, the leader of Dauntless, gave an inspiring speech for the initiates. We received cheers from the whole cafeteria, and I was surprised as two strong Dauntless guys hoisted me onto their shoulders and carried me out into the pit, with the rest of my peers getting lifts too.

The pit was just a big room where everybody hung out and talked, and I settled in just fine staying  close to Keith and Jackie. We met up with a few other initiates too and wandered around the pit talking.

That is until a tall figure stepped in front of me, causing me to walk right into him. I stepped back with a huff and looked up into Eric's menacing blue-grey eyes with a confused frown.

"First jumper, I'm impressed." His deep authoritive voice was low and quiet enough that only my friends behind me could hear.

"Um, thanks?" I said nervously.

His eyes didn't move from their locked position with mine, and I couldn't help but feel a little shaky under his intense gaze. It felt like he could read my mind.

"Let's just hope you're just as ambitious during training tomorrow." He warned with a tiny smirk.

That look sent chills up my spine, and I hoped he didn't notice the small shiver I tried hard to conceal but failed to. By the look of his growing smirk, I'd say he noticed.

"Get some rest initiate, you'll need it."

With quick wink, he stepped out of my path and walked away with his hands folded behind his back. When we started walking again, I asked Jackie what exactly just happened, but she shrugged.

"I have no clue. Maybe he was trying to scare you."

"Or maybe that's his way of saying 'good job' or something." Keith added.

"Well not from what I've heard about that guy." I said, shivering again with image of his arctic stare in my head still.

I just need to find my sister and everything will be fine. Maybe she knows more about the ice man.