Chapter Four

After searching through the endless halls, I found his old room...well ours. I was surprised he still stayed there. I knocked lightly on the door, not wanting to barge in.

"Go away! I'm busy," Charles yelled out, his words sounding slightly muffled. Screw this, I thought.

And with that, I opened the door to see him injecting himself with some kind of honey-colored serum in a syringe. "Wha-what are you doing?" My eyes widened. Was he addicted to heroin now?

"I can explain," he was shocked as well and took out the syringe once all the serum went in.

"Look we can get you help for this if you need it. Seriously, heroin is not going to make things any better, it's going to make your life worse," I walked over to him, taking the syringe out of his hand to place it on a nearby dresser.

"Can you let me explain?" He interrupted.  I nodded, allowing him to speak. "I'm not addicted to heroin, okay? Remember the treatment Hank made to control his shifting into beast form?"

"Yes, I remember," I nodded, starting to understand what he was getting at.

"Well the treatment gave me my legs back. The only downfall is my powers don't really work. However, I still get pains and headaches so I take it often just to get rid of it," Charles explained.

"Can I intervene?" I muttered quietly. He nodded. "That's exactly what a drug addict would say."

He rolled his eyes, "For the last time, I'm not addicted to heroin!"

"I know you're not! But you're addicted to this serum! And you're using it so much that you're losing who you used to be! I don't even know who you are anymore!" I shouted, "The man I loved wouldn't just give up so easily! He'd fight for what's right."

"Well maybe it's a good thing you left," he muttered bitterly with a shrug.

"I left because you were too good for me. I know that sounds idiotic, but it's true.  You were planning on starting a school! You wanted to help people!" I walked closer to him, taking his hands in mine, "And I was just there. Useless."

He let go of my left hand and grazed his free hand along my cheek. I gazed into his blue eyes, the same kind ones I remembered. "You are not useless, Isabelle. You are so much more than that. You have the power to change fate, change destinies, even the ability to break through the heart of a cold hearted man like me."

We stared at each other in silence for a moment, pondering his speech. I slowly leaned closer to him, closing the small gap between us with my lips. It was a gentle kiss and he tasted like whiskey, bourbon, and probably every other beer I could think of, but I didn't care. I missed this. So much.

Slowly pulling away, he sighed, "I'll help."

"Seriously?"

He nodded, "I can tell you and Logan really care about this."

I smiled widely and pulled him into a tight hug as I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist. "Thank you so much!"

He chuckled slightly as he stroked my hair with one hand and held my waist with the other, "You're welcome, love."

~Time Skip~

"I'll help you get her," Charles spoke as we approached Hank and Logan, who had been downstairs chatting.

"Well I'll be damned," Logan lied in disbelief and gave me a sign of approval.

"Not for any of your future friends but for her," Charles stated, holding tightly into my hand.

"Fair enough," Logan agreed.

"I'll tell you this, you don't know Erik. That man is a monster, a murderer," Charles muttered out those words in disgust.

My hand felt weaker under his grasp. Yes, Erik has made plenty of mistakes and I hated myself for falling so easily for him, but I knew him more than anyone in that room, probably more than anyone ever. He's had a rough past and had grown up with so much destruction and loss, it's just the way he was.

"If you think you can convince Raven to change, that's splendid. But what makes you think you can change him?" Charles questioned.

"Because you and Erik sent me back here together," Logan replied.