Chapter Nine

After finding out that Raven was heading to Washington D.C., we all quickly got on the jet to stop her before she tried to kill Trask. Hank thought it was practically useless, however, considering that the government already had a hold of her DNA, therefore, being one step closer to using her to make weapons. To be honest, I kind of agreed with him.

We sat quietly on the plane as it set off and there was an odd silence. Logan had fallen asleep, probably exhausted from being up since yesterday. "You have a daughter?" Charles asked, breaking the silence. "Mary right?"

"What? How do you..."I furrowed my eyebrows and he pointed to his temple, raising a brow. "Right. You can read minds again."

"Who's her father? Do I know him?" Charles persisted, almost as if he was interrogating me.

"His name's Calvin. You will know him soon. Probably a decade or two," I shrugged, "Why are you so interested anyway?"

His curious expression turned into one of despondence, "So you and I never-"

"-Have a child?" I interrupted. He nodded and I shook my head, "No. I moved on by then. And so did you."

"So you never came back?"

"Well I did for a little while. Your school had been opened back up at the time and you even had your own team of heroes once again," I smiled, reminiscing.

"But?" He interrupted.

"But what?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"There's always a 'but'," he said, knowing I knew what he meant.

"After Calvin died, I couldn't stay any longer. I was going to raise a child and it didn't seem right to raise her in a world of destruction and danger. So I stayed in hiding, and lived on with my life. And so did you," I explained.

"No I understand why you were nervous about coming back to see me. You didn't want any old feelings to come back," Charles muttered. I nodded quietly, averting my eyes from his gaze. "But they did."

"Yes," I admitted, "Look I really shouldn't be telling you about the future."

"I'm going to find out sooner or later. We might as well discuss it now," Charles stated.

"I'd rather not okay?" I insisted, really not wanting to continue.

"Eleven years. I haven't heard from you in eleven years. So the least you could do is just discuss this," Charles persisted.

I sighed, knowing I owed him an answer. "Fine. Any other questions?"

"What will you do when this is all over?" He asked.

"I-I hadn't really thought about that. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough strength to go so many decades back to the future," I told him. "If you wouldn't mind, I could stay with you and Hank."