Chapter 2: Forcing a Laugh

The effort of just putting one foot in front of the other was more than I could take, but I managed to make my way into the living room, the aroma of bacon sizzling in the kitchen causing me to almost gag, the aching in my stomach only worsening. With eyes darting to me from multiple directions, I used the last bit of energy I had left as I wobbled over to the kitchen table, attempting to stifle the shivers raging through my entire body. I sat myself down, raising a shaky hand to wipe the beading sweat off my brow. It was then when I realised that my surroundings had come to an abrupt standstill, stares jabbing me from every angle.

"What?" I winced as my own voice caused the pounding in my head to spike, my insides gurgling all the more horribly.

"Is it just me, or are you a bit overcast today, Pony?" Two-bit cracked, trying to lessen the tension, yet his words only caused my eyes to widen, the panic inside me struggling to escape. But I forced my stiff frame to relax, curving my lips upward, hoping they didn't see what I was desperately attempting to hide. I won't let them find out... I can't...

"You ok, Ponyboy?" Johnny's quiet, anxious voice met my ears and I looked around, finally locating him on the floor, sitting with his legs crossed, his ebony features distorted in my hazy sight.

"M' fine," I replied, struggling to keep my voice steady.

Suddenly, agony went seething through my stomach in one sharp burst, causing a strangled yelp to escape me before I had the chance to restrain it. Naturally, my body curled into it's self, my arms clamped around my abdomen in an iron grip. An uprising of nausea followed, yet through my mist of pain, I realised the blunder I'd made. They all saw it... They all knew...

As predicted, figures hovered above me, meaningless voices hammering at my mind as I tried to find sense in it all. When a hand brushed my forehead however, I leapt away, a high-pitched gasp tumbling from my mouth. If they touch me, they'll know...

In seconds, my legs crumpled underneath me and I fell, a flash of pain surging through me before the entire world began to spin, colliding with something hard before I had a chance to register it. I attempted to raise myself back up, but reeling with a sickness I couldn't escape from, I blacked out.

~~~~

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for reading the second chapter of my story. I know it's short, but it's here to prepare you for what's to come next. I hoped you enjoyed it!

M. Elyse Lynch