Chapter Twenty-Three

Questions and Answers

Maddy, Tom, Shannon, and Beca all sat in their usual positions in Jeffries' class, except Beca was placed next to Maddy in order to be a part of the quieted conversation between everyone.

"I don't understand why they've chased him all this way," Maddy uttered below Jeffries' rambling over Judo class so that only the four of them could hear her. "They're must be something he's not telling us."

Tom took in a breath, as if wincing. "Must mean it was something really bad."

"He looked terrified," Shannon whispered.

Beca rolled her eyes. "Has it occurred to any of you that it wasn't Rhydian's fault?" She defended.

Tom shrugged. "You guys are the experts, but why would the leader of a whole group leave to chase after one person if they hadn't done anything wrong?"

Beca huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back in her chair while Maddy looked between their human companions. "Good job you were in the woods last night."

The four turned their attention back to the class, Mr. Jeffries still on about his class. "I hope a lot of you will be there. I'd also like to thank James for organizing the taster session, which shows a real display of initiative on his part. Something this school could well do with more of."

Beca let out a loud scoff from her seat near the back of the class, earning a few looks and a glare from Mr. Jeffries. Maddy sent her a curious look, but she just waved her off.

Liam and Sam looked a little defensive of their own "leader", so Liam took it upon himself to change the subject. "So are you coming to judo, sir?"

Sam laughed along with him. "I hear it's good exercise for the more mature man."

"Off you go, before I use my black belt in origami," he bragged, leaving the class to groan as they got up. It was obvious the man didn't know origami was a craft, not a form of martial arts in any way.

Maddy stayed behind, looking at her phone frantically while Tom and Shannon went ahead. Beca decided to stay with Mads, glancing over at the screen. She was on her texting app, the names of six most recently texted individuals at the top with the most recent message exchanged between them to the right.

         Mum         | Dad's not answering. You guys oka... |

         Dad           | Dad? You there?                                           |

         Rhydian  Hey, text me back if you hear anyth... |

         Shannon | Gotta go, text you in the morning!  :)  |

         Beca         | Where the heck are you Mads? We'r... |

"What's up?" She asked when Maddy didn't walk forward.

The brunette looked up and met Beca's eyes. "They're not answering."

Beca furrowed her brow and pulled out her own phone, opening up her texts. She sent one to Rhydian quickly.

         To: Rhydian

         Hey, you there? Mads is freaking out.

They moved to the hall, walking slowly, but Beca kept her phone out and eyes locked on to it. It shouldn't take him long to respond. Maddy had her eyes glued to her own.

When they caught up to Tom and Shannon, the two were confused.

"Did we miss something?" Tom asked.