Chapter Three

Beca was doing her homework for Maths so she wouldn't have to do it at home that evening when students began piling out of the dining hall. The bell hadn't rung yet, but it was like clockwork. Everyday, a few minutes before the bell that ended lunch, the students would clear out and grab their books for the next half of the day.
        "Oi, Beca," Jimi's taunting tone came from a few lockers down. "Ditch your friends for the company of the floor?"
        She looked up from her papers and met his eyes innocently. "Rather that than talk to you," she said, stuffing her things away and standing up.
        "Oh, I'm wounded, boys!" He said, his voice filled with sarcasm. He was holding his hand above his heart, glancing over to his minions.
        Beca just raised an eyebrow, getting slightly annoyed. "Don't you have something better to do than pick on someone who could beat you up?"
        A few eavesdroppers that had gathered around the two either giggled or fell silent. Jimi just licked his lips and and clenched his jaw, stepping forward to meet her. "Is that a challenge?"
        All Beca did was stay where she was and narrow her eyes. "You tell me."
        A rusty locker squeaked open behind him and he took the opportunity to turn away before a fight broke out, one that he would surely lose, without seeming weak. It just so happened that it was Rhydian's locker that opened.
        "I thought I smelled something funny. Is that your lunch, Welshy?"
        Rhydian tensed and moved his hardening glare to the floor. "I'm not even Welsh."
        "Oh, you got a problem, Leek Boy?" Jimi pushed when he didn't get the reaction he was expecting. Beca curled her hands into fists, ready to attack if necessary. She felt the blood pulsing through her veins and knew it wasn't a good sign.
        Before Jimi had another chance to speak, he was calling out for help. Rhydian had had enough and tackled Jimi to the ground, hands on the boy's collar while he was panting heavily, holding back growls that were begging to escape.
        Beca smiled for a second before Maddy grabbed her attention and nodded towards the boys on the ground. She shrugged back, realizing that this wasn't a good situation.
        Rhydian released Jimi suddenly and looked at his hand. Beca caught a glimpse of the blackened blood running through his veins. Maddy grabbed him just as Jeffries called out. "What is going on?"
        Jimi stood up and brushed himself off. "Rhydian!" He said, his voice laced with anger. He met Beca's eyes and his glare deepened. "And her!"
        Her face fell as Jeffries turned to look at her. "And where is Rhydian?" He asked, knowing Jimi and Beca didn't exactly get along.
        "He wasn't even around, Sir," Beca said. "And I was just doing Maths work." By now the rest of the crowd had dispersed and Jimi had no witnesses to back him up. Jeffries rolled his eyes and dragged Jimi away by his arm, giving Beca enough time to take Shannon's key that she kept in her locker and run to the photography room.
        She unlocked it and opened the green door, relocking it behind her before focusing on the room. "What the..." she muttered as she assessed the room. Papers and half-developed film was strewn all across the room. There were marks on the linoleum tile, more specifically claw marks. "Maddy?" She called out carefully, unsure if her friend was still alive at this point.
        She walked around the corner to see Rhydian crouched on the ground, looking up and opening his eyes. Maddy's eyes were glowing brightly as she tried to blink it away. Beca's mind followed the claw marks to here, and how they rested around Rhydian. 
        "Good luck saving the club with this mess," Beca muttered, looking around again. She may not have been in photography club, but she spent a lot of time loitering in here. Probably the reason why Jeffries said they didn't require a room on school grounds.
        Maddy stood up and looked at her, eyes wide. "Shannon was coming here after lunch."
        Beca held up a key ring. "Stole her keys, she's not gonna be able to get in."
        Her friend let out a relieved sigh, leaning against the counter. Rhydian stood up and looked over at Maddy. "I knew there was something about you two," he said.
        Beca furrowed her brow before realizing he had deduced the fact that they were both Wolfbloods. 
        "When your eyes went--it's true isn't it? You're like me!" He had a lopsided grin on his face.
        Maddy shook her head, looking irritated. "We're not like you! We don't show off or pick fights or invade another pack's territory!"
        "Well," Beca murmured. She showed off every chance she got, and picked fights with Jimi all of the time. As for the invading, her parents did have to meet the Smiths somehow.
        "Your a danger to us all," Maddy said, ignoring Beca's comment.
        "Maddy!" Beca scolded, staring at the girl next to her. She turned to face Rhydian. "Look, what she means to say is you have to get it under control, and--"
        "And the sooner you leave, the better," Maddy said with no emotion.
        The door rattled and unlocked, causing Maddy to shoot Beca an accusing look. Tom and Shannon stepped in, looking around with wide eyes. "What happened here?"
        Rhydian shook his head and straightened up, making way to leave, but Tom stepped in his way.
        "Let him go," Maddy said. "He doesn't belong here."