Arthur Starts to Realize

"Merlin!" I called out. I waited for a few moments, before emerging from my warm covers. "Merlin?"

When I looked up my room was empty. I frowned and threw the covers aside and stood. I slipped on my boots and a shirt and left to go find my manservant.

My walk through the castle halls went by as quickly as sleep, and I soon found myself standing in front of a small wooden door. I knocked before opening the door slightly. Gaius was bent over a book, quickly flipping through the pages. He didn't look up when I opened the door wider, so I crossed into the room.

"Gaius?" I walked up to the old healer, and he still did nothing. "Gaius?" I asked again setting a hand on his shoulder.

He finally looked up and seemed shocked to see me. He took a step back and, in a very Merlin like fashion, tripped. I quickly grabbed him and helped him stand, keeping my hand on his shoulder.

"Gaius, are you all right?"

The old man shock his head and returned to rifling through his books. I looked around the small room, and the first thing I noticed was that the door to Merlin's room was shut tight.

"Gaius why is Merlin still sleeping, he does have an actual job!"

I walked over to the door and was about to open it when I felt Gaius put a hand on my arm.

"Arthur..." Gaius paused and looked up into my eyes, tears finally escaping.

Panic gripped me and I threw the door open. I froze as soon as I saw Merlin. I wanted to run to his side, to shake him awake, but I just couldn't. I couldn't stop staring at his stiff body. Gaius walked past me and sat in the chair beside Merlin's bed.

"Merlin?" As soon as the name passed my lips and almost ran to Merlin's side. I took his hand in mine, and almost sobbed at how cold it was.

"I tried Arthur, but..." Gaius' voice faded off and he looked down at the young boy. "He just got sick so fast. I tried to find something to bring him back..."

I wasn't even listening to what he was saying, the only thing in my head was Merlin. He was gone, how was that even possible? I wiped away my tears and looked at his handsome face. It didn't look like him, there was no smile. I brushed a curl away from his forehead. I smiled at how soft his hair was, and that was when it hit me. I needed Merlin in my life, I couldn't go on without him. I loved him.

"Merlin."