30: Dante Cooks Italian Dinner Pt. 2

Vanessa's eyes bulged wide. Could her day get any crazier than this? "What? What did you just say?" she asked. 

"You heard me," Dante grimaced. He stood up and reached for a bottle of liquor stored on a high shelf. Pouring himself a glass he offered Vanessa some but she refused.

"What do you mean you're her biological father? How?" Vanessa's breath hitched in her throat. Did she really want to know the answer?

Sitting down once more beside Vanessa, Dante took a gulp of his whiskey before setting it down on the coffee table. "You asked me why Marco and I hadn't spoken in years. It was because of Gisella, Adelina's mother."

"What? Why?"

"I...I wasn't ever planning on telling anyone this. I didn't think anyone would ever understand so I buried the secret for years. But...ever since Adelina came back into my life, I've been going crazy. I can't eat, I can't sleep. I'm cranky at work and the frustrations are mounting. Then there's you. You barged into our lives, my life, when I least expected it. I didn't know how to react to that. I kept pushing you away...Until this morning. I thought about your words and I realized that you're the only person who might have a shot at understanding what I'm going through. But if you want me to stop talking now, I will."

"N-No...No, keep going," Vanessa replied, still holding Dante's hand. His palms were clammy and his lower lip trembled as he spoke.

"It happened twelve years ago, back when I was visiting Venice the summer after graduation," Dante began. "I grew up in Venice and Marco and I used to be close brothers. Well, half-brothers. Same father, different mothers. When my father divorced his mother, we moved to California and I never really kept in touch with him. We grew apart. Twelve years later, I went to Venice as part of a university graduation trip with some of my classmates. We went to a bar and I met this gorgeous young woman. We had a fling that lasted two weeks. Then I had to come back to the States for work. What I didn't realize at the time was, this woman was Marco's wife. They had been separated at the time and I never thought to mention anything about her to him. Months later, she called to tell me she was pregnant. She didn't know what to do. It was against her religious faith to abort the baby but she had no means to support a child while working two jobs. So I told her I would send her money but I couldn't possibly go to Venice because my whole life was in America. It was incredibly cruel and harsh of me but I was only twenty-three and I panicked. I gave up the rights to my own child and she agreed to our terms."

Dante looked away, his eyes growing moist. With a large sigh, he continued, "Six months later, she called to tell me two pieces of good news: she had given birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl and that she had reconciled with her estranged husband, who reluctantly agreed to raise the child as his own. I was so relieved. I said I would go to Venice and visit them to offer my congratulations and my gratitude."

Dante drained his glass and poured another. "You can imagine what happened next. When I got to the hospital, I immediately realized what had happened. Marco and I couldn't believe it. I had impregnated his wife. It didn't matter to him that the deed happened while they were separated. In his eyes, I was a criminal. I violated a brotherly code. Even though I did it unknowingly, he hated me for it. Called me a sinner. I saw Adelina's little face for all of ten minutes before Marco banished me forever and said I was never allowed to show my face in their house again."

"Oh my God," Vanessa cried, her face stricken with shock. "I-I can't believe this...This is ridiculous. I-I'm sorry. I don't know what to say."

A few small tears began sliding down Dante's face. He quickly wiped them away with his palm. "I sent cheques but they never cashed them. I tried calling for years but they never answered. If they did pick up the phone by accident, they would hang up immediately when they realized it was me. I couldn't blame them. I'd waived my rights to see my own daughter so there was nothing I could do. The only time we spoke after that was when Gisella passed away from cancer. Marco didn't even want me at the funeral for fear that I might see Adelina and get too emotional. And that was it...for the longest time. Not a word from them. I had given up all hopes of ever seeing my daughter again. Until of course a few weeks ago when he called and told me he wasn't going to make it."

Dante's brows furrowed together. He choked on his tears as he pressed his forehead against Vanessa's shoulder. "Now I'm all alone, raising a daughter I've never known and pretending that I'm her uncle. I don't know the first thing about her or kids in general. I wasn't cut out for this. Any of this. I'm a complete failure and a coward. If she ever found out the truth, she'd never forgive me. What the hell am I supposed to do?"

"Hey, hey you're not alone," Vanessa murmured, wiping Dante's wet cheeks. "I'm here. We'll pull through. Together. I'll do anything I can to help you make this transition smoother. But I must say, I'm stunned. Why didn't you- Ugh, never mind."

Dante straightened himself up and cleared his throat. "You're here...Now...But for how long? Until something important happens at your company? Or until you have your own family and we're just liabilities?"

He made a valid point. What would happen once she gave birth to her own child?

"Dante, stop worrying about the future," Vanessa said, "It's pointless and all it will do is cause you more anxiety. Just take it one day at a time, okay? I'm not going to make any promises and say I'll be there for you two forever. I'm not going to lie and say your situation is normal, because it's not. But I'm here right now and I'm listening. That's what matters. You don't have to carry this burden alone anymore. You've shared it with me and now I can listen to your troubles and help you the best way I know how. That's all I can do. For now."

Dante was speechless. He blinked rapidly several times. Then, after a few seconds, he murmured, "Thanks Vanessa. I-I think I really needed that wake-up call."

"You're welcome," Vanessa smiled. She leaned in and gave Dante a strong hug. She felt his muscular chest tense up and then relax again. Then she murmured in his ear, "Get a good night's sleep Dante. Don't worry. You're not alone anymore. I need to go now but I'm just a phone call away if you ever want to talk."

Dante nodded, slowly pulling away. The two stood up awkwardly, a new tension hovering between them. Were they friends now? He trusted her enough to tell her his deepest secret. Should she tell him hers?

Dante stood up and walked Vanessa to the door. As he handed Vanessa her purse, he leaned in toward her and Vanessa thought he was about to kiss her. But at the last moment he pulled back. "Thanks again," he whispered.

Taking her purse from Dante's hand, Vanessa mumbled a soft 'good night' before disappearing down the hall. 

Have you checked out my author website yet? ;)

www.authorjackiewang.com