Unexpected

I turned on my TV to the local news.  It was just about a serial killer killing blonds.  Not that it mattered.

Today was going to be the most fun day of my life.  Today was the day I would go to Adventureland with my cousin, Nikki, who I rarely saw because we lived on different continents.  We were going to have so much fun at the park (especially giving her a tour around New York) but the ride I wanted to go most was the new Haunted House. The motto of the ride is: Once you go inside, you may never come back in one piece.

I was brushing my long, blond hair when I heard the doorbell ring.  I checked my appearance in the mirror and twiddled with my hair.  Then I ran to the door and before I could open it, Nikki slammed it open. 

"Hey Gillian!" 

"Hey Nikki!"  I took a step back to admire the many changes that Nikki had gone through over four years. 

"Your blond hair still looks better than mine!" I pouted.

We embraced each other again and shared a few laughs.  Then we were on our way.

~Preparing for the Haunted House~

Nikki's legs wouldn't budge once the haunted house was in sight.  Her entire body was violently shaking, and her hands were fidgeting with her hair.

After a few minutes of looking at the ride and the horror filled faces of the riders before us, Nikki suddenly found the words that were dying to come out of her mouth.

"C-can w-we please go on another r-r-r-ride?  This ride is giving me the heebie jeebies."  She shuddered.

"No!  I want to see what makes this haunted house 'haunted," I stated.  I crossed my arms and pouted.

"A-are you sure?  I-I don't like this place."

"Stop being such a big wimp!  Sheesh.  It's not like one ride is going to kill you."  I rolled my eyes and uncrossed my arms.  I waved them up and down, gesturing towards the Haunted House.

"F-fine then.  Suit yourself, but I'm not going with you."

"But the idea was to go in together."

My plan was to drag Nikki and strap her down to the chair, but seeing as she wouldn't stop shaking, I didn't want to be cruel to her.

I handed the operator my ticket. 

"We hope you enjoy the ride."

I got onto the seat.  I strapped myself in tightly to see what would happen.  Honestly, I had hoped Nikki would go in with me.  Of course I would be stupid and strap myself in the very first seat.  I felt the cart lunge forward suddenly and the darkness welcomed me.

I saw an evil Buddha with a creepy smile bobbing back and forth.  I then saw a red-eyed Grim Reaper with a huge scyther doing some Grim Reaper action.  A bunch of dummies and yetis popped out at me with horrified face. 

I kept hearing shrieks of terror from behind me.  I just sat back in a leisurely position.  This place wasn't quite its reputation.

Told you Nikki.  You're such a wimp.  I'll be out with you in a second.  This place isn't scary at all, I thought.

Then I saw the exit and was about to shout "TOLD YOU SO!" to Nikki until all of the sudden the ride stopped.

Everyone on the ride questioned the situation.  There were murmurs amongst the crowd.

What's going on?  Ugh.  Of course the ride would break right before the exit.

I leaned my back against the seat and crossed my arms. 

Then, out of the blue, the lights went out, except for the dim ones on the yetis and dummies.  Suddenly out of the corner of my eye, a shadow moved.  I heard other people scream, "HELP!"  Then I heard a knife slicing through flesh...and what seemed to be bone.  Some warm liquid spurted out onto the back of my neck and dribbled down my shirt.  

By this time, I was deathly frightened.  I was shaking terribly.  I felt the urge to vomit.  I felt ill and horrified.  It was a terrible feeling. 

I didn't know they had real killers in here.

I scrubbed off the substance from my neck and from the faint light, I saw it was deep crimson red.  Like blood.

I turned around to see what had happened, and saw everyone dead.  Dead with dramatic and horror-stricken faces.  All of them had their heads sliced cleanly through.  A noise alerted me and I swiveled my head back around in front.

A man dressed in all black with a blood-smeared knife was standing right before me.

I shrieked at the top of my lungs and he put the knife against my neck and applied pressure until I could feel a gooey substance slowly run down my neck.

"Shh.  We wouldn't want to attract attention, would we?" the guy asked.  He eyed my head for some reason as if it were food.  Tears were streaming down my cheeks.  I couldn't tell because the pain from the blade piercing into my neck was excruciating.

"Mhm.  You're a blond aren't you?"

"No, shit.  I'm a red head," I managed to squeak.  He then punched me in the face.

"I don't think you're in a position to be talking to me that way." He retorted.

I coughed out blood onto his face.  Served him right. 

"Wh-what do you want?" I managed to croak out.

"I want to free you, giving you a glimpse of hope that you will survive this ordeal.  You will go back home, maybe start a family, have everything in life you ever wanted."

I couldn't breathe.

"Then I want to hunt you down, hear your screams and pleas for me to stop haunting every corner of your mind, and then finally after days, maybe weeks, of absolute hell and torture..."  He leaned in until I could feel his breath against my neck.

"Only then...will I  finish what I have started..." He said near my ear in a raspy voice.

Before I could say anything else, the blade swiftly sliced the top of my head and I was dead.

*Afterwards*

~Nikki's POV~

The brake that stopped the ride was jammed so I was worried that Gillian was going to get scared.  Oh well.  She was probably safe in there anyway.  Not that any of that crap inside was real. 

Then I heard a high-pitched scream.  It was a blood curdling scream.  It also sounded like Gillian's scream. 

Soon after, the operator managed to fix the brake.  My heart pounded in my chest and I swore it skipped a beat when the cart came into view.  I hoped it was Gillian just joking around saying "HA GOT YOU."  It was far from it.  What I saw traumatized me forever.

I saw Gillian with the top of her head cut off.  Worst part was that inside her head was hollow, the part where her brain should've been.  All I could see where some stringy organs that made me throw up my lunch.

Inside her skull, there was a piece of bloodied paper that said: I'm watching you Nikki.  Watching your every movement, your every breath.  You needn't worry about Gillian's brain.  You're next.

------------------------------

Hello fellow readers.  I just decided to post this story because I wanted to.  I hope you enjoyed it.  :D

~Pitakarot