I. Finally

"So why don't you just leave. Leave Althea alone, she is better off without you. Ever since you fucked off to your great US honeymoon, Althea's life became peaceful, no problems and certainly no heartaches. So do us all a favor, Jade, and leave us alone."

Wila's words replayed in Jade's mind as she drove away from her place. Tears sprung from her eyes as she contemplated the truth behind those words.

"Loving you is exhausting, Jade. I don't want to do this anymore. I want you to let me go and live my life in peace."

Jade pulled to the side of the road and turned the car's ignition off. She is trembling and crying uncontrollably as she recalled Althea's rejection. She can vividly remember how her heart broke at hearing those words.

She is better off without me. I only ruined her life, I do not deserve her... I cannot even fight for her.

As much as Jade wants to argue against her thoughts and Wila's words, it was futile to convince herself otherwise.

As she was about to start the car again, she was once again inundated with memories of Althea, the happy times they've spent in the condo, Althea always standing up for her, and never giving up.

She never gave up... She will never give up on me, on us, not like that.

Jade pushed aside her doubts, wiped her tears away and took a deep breathe while contemplating her next move.

Her phone rang and David's name flashed on the screen. She rejected the call, they are probably looking for her at the wake. But that is the least of her concerns right now.

She recalled her father's words, liking her marriage with David to that of Ama's and Angkong's. "You can also learn to love him, Jade." Oscar said.

She was unable to respond back then, perhaps feeling broken and hopeless at that time, Jade actually considered the idea. But she knows her heart, and to whom it belongs to, she will never learn to love David. She recalled Ama's advice, to fight for what she wants and do everything in her power to be with the one she loves.

She is happy for Ama, to have found a way to love Angkong despite the arranged marriage they were thrown into. To remember it now and to bury her husband with the good memories in tact in her mind. But that is not her, that will never be her. She will only ever be happy with Althea... and Miggy.

A smile appeared on her lips as she remembered their boy, their sweet and loving Miggy. How he would hug her tightly, kiss her sweetly and say 'I love you' in the most heartfelt way. How Althea's eyes would shine with so much love while watching them interact.

She wants that back. She wants it all. She is Jade Tanchingco and she'll be damned if she lets anybody stop her from getting her family back.

"I am not giving up LabLab. I will fight for you."

With a new found courage, Jade turned on the ignition and started to drive away, when out of the corner of her eyes she saw Wila driving past her.

****

Half an hour later, she pulled to a stop several meters from where Wila parked. She is unsure what she intends to accomplish by following the other woman but she is desperate to find Althea. She was about to follow inside the restaurant when a familiar car parked near Wila's and David came out of the car.

"Why would they be in the same place?" Jade thought.

Inconspicuously, Jade went to the side entrance of the restaurant, trying her hard to remain unnoticed. She looked around and saw the two talking, she walked closer and tried to eavesdrop but they were too far. They finally slid over to a booth and Jade thought the gods must be smiling down on her because the panels between the booths allowed her to slide into the next one without them noticing.