Chapter 18

JEREMY FITZGERALD

Working at the 'new and improved' pizzeria was okay...I guess. I mean, it had its perks.

Instead of spending money on food I was able to get free pizza whenever I wanted. It may have been greasy, but it was better than nothing. My check was pretty shitty but it was one hundred times better than my previous job.

The thing is...I got to cook.

For the most part, it had been my hobby. Just something I would do because why the hell not? I never thought I'd be doing something I at least half enjoyed.

There were some minor set backs though.

Parents complaining about the quality, my idiot co-workers, and the occasional couple getting it on in the pantry.

The last one was really gross and unsanitary. That's another reason I only eat the pizza I make.

Every day was tedious and boring, which I somewhat enjoyed. It beat having to deal with some out of the blue situation.

This day...was NOT one of those days.

* * * *

My shift was over and I had just hung up my apron on its designated hook. I sighed, placing my hands on my hips, feeling satisfied with myself. 

To be honest, I felt the best I had in years.

Yes, Bucky was still living with him and Eleanor, but I forgot what it felt like to not have so many responsibilities. It's not that I didn't love my little brother! I wished he was still with me, but maybe the separation was good. I'm a terrible person/influence anyway.

"Mike, where are you taking me?!"

My entire body froze at the voice. NO! Not her. Not him. Not now!

I balled up my fists and opened the door which led out into the main hallway. Since I had just heard them, I figured they'd be right outside but no.

I watched as Mike, and a worker named Petra, practically pushed Eleanor into the backstage area. Many thoughts flashed through my head but I pushed them out and followed them. It's not like anybody would notice me. I'm practically invisible.

There wasn't much in the backstage area except for a few stage props, instruments, and alternate costumes for the animatronics. Whatever Mike was planning immediately gave me chills. Something wasn't right.

Just to make sure I wouldn't be spotted, I ducked behind a costume rack and peeked out.

"El, this place is practically a daycare and you're great with kids." Mike admitted, giving Eleanor a look that said "I'm asking you for a favor". 

"Yeah?" She asked, giving him a suspicious look.

"One of the entertainers is broke-er, I mean sick, and I'd like for you to fill in for them." Mike lied. It was probably the worst one I ever heard. There was no way Eleanor couldn't see straight through him.

"I really don't like the idea of dressing up." She sighed, shaking her head. "Just do my makeup or whatever. I'll do the dumb performance."

Mike flushed profusely. "Really?"

"Yeah, I will." Eleanor sighed. "This whole thing just feels weird though."

"What do ya mean, Doll?" Mike asked. "There's nothing wrong with entertaining kids."

"I know, but isn't that what happened...at the last place? I know all those guys on stage are just actors but...still."

Did she really think the animatronics were human? I didn't blame her. On their highest A.I. they certainly looked/acted like it.