The Rehearsal

8 hours

"Bah bum bum bum bah baaaah," Alexis screeches. "We are going to graduate today!"

"I know, Lex. And now the whole world knows, too." I roll my eyes.

"Well, I'm just excited. Finally leaving this place," she says.

We stand in front of our schools front doors.

"We better go in. We're gonna be late."

"You just wanna see Park-er," Alexis sings. "After that kiss last night, I'd want to see him, too."

"Quiet," I scold her as we step inside the school. "And, besides, we kind of had a small argument or whatever you want to call it."

"I know, you told me. It wasn't an argument, I promise."

We walk towards the gym, hand in hand. Alexis kind of skips and pulls me along.

"I hope you're right. I mean, he's kind of the only guy I've liked like this and the only guy I ever kissed and –"

"Yeah, I know you're pretty inexperienced. You can stop now."

"I just don't want this to be the end," I tell her.

"It won't be, Quinny." She gives me a hopeful smile. We step into the gym and I drop her hand.

Rehearsal for graduation. I'm graduating. I can't believe it.

"Quinn." Alexis grabs my shoulder. "Quinn, you coming?"

"Yeah. I'll be there in a second." I wave her off. We still had about ten minutes before rehearsal was supposed to begin. Not begin begin, but when people would need to start following directions.

I walk back out into the hallway, outside of the gym. I go near a vending machine and look at the price for a candy bar. I check my pants pockets for any change. I find fifty cents and buy a pack of fruit snacks instead.

I start to roam the halls. This'll be my last chance to do this. I try not to walk too far, knowing I'll have to be back soon.

I make it to the science wing before falling to the floor. I don't cry, because I won't miss this place. Not really. But I feel empty.

This place has been a big part of my life for four years. And now I'm just supposed to leave it.

It feels like I've been sitting here for hours, but I know that's not true. I hear footsteps behind me.

"They're 'bout to start," Parker says.

I turn to look up at him, but I don't have to because he's already starting to sit down.

"Hey."

"What're you doing over here?" he asks.

"I don't know. How'd you find me?"

"Alexis said she saw you walk out of the gym."

"Want a fruit snack?" I ask, holding the bag out to him.

"No thanks. Thank you, though." He runs a hand through his hair. "Quinn . . ."

"What?" I ask, fishing out the final chewy piece. I crinkle the bag and look up at Parker.

His eyes are darker, not as bright as they usually are.

"I'm sorry –"

"Stop," I say, shaking my head. "We've only been talking to each other for less than three days and all we can do is apologize."

"But, Quinn, I really am sorry. Last night was a mistake. Taking you to that party."

"Don't apologize about that of all things," I whisper.

"I'm not really apologizing about that. I'm sorry because what we did, that can't happen again. We're going off to college. We won't see each other. I don't want to lead you on."

"You aren't leading me on," I tell him. "I know what happens after we graduate, Parker."

"It's not just that," Parker says. He takes my hand in his. "I don't want to hurt you."

I look down.

"We can't be together like that again," he whispers. He lifts my hand to his lips and brushes them against it.

I pull it out of his grasp.

"We should go," I say before standing up and walking back down the hall.

-

One more part left ughhggbbb. This is the problem with short stories. I never want to stop writing them :(