How To: Stick With Your Story

Ever had that moment when an idea jumps out of your head, you feel compelled to write it, but then you burn yourself out in a matter of days? Some might blame writer's block for this very burnout moment but...

What if it's not the culprit? 

This guide will show you three tricks on how to STICK with your story until YOU reach the finish line! 

Disclaimer: If you have your own ways to tackle with these problems and come out successful, then don't let this guide oppose you.

1. Don't write the first idea that jumps at you. No, really. Just don't. If you do just that, you'd end up writing every single idea and burn yourself out before you could do past chapter two. You don't want that. I've seen many people falling for this, and they ended up cancelling a story that might have had a potential to sell among readers!

2. When (an) idea/s sticks for weeks (better if months)- with or without your intervention- maybe you should give it a few of your attention. And when I say give it a few of your attention, do things like doing short drabbles, character sheets, and you may connect a few ideas related to that big idea on your paper. Have fun tweaking with ideas, gather resources and start researching, BUT- 

3. Don't write that story until you have concrete ideas for the climax and especially, the ending. Because a story that could never end would be a waste of time writing in the first place. And when you write a half-arsed, undetermined, and 'there's-still-a-lot-of-plot-holes-unresolved' kind of ending-- that's even worse. (Blood of Olympus, anyone?)

 And when all's set... 

Go! Write that story!

You won't even worry about writer's block as long as you have CONCRETE IDEAS to follow. After all, writer's block only exists when you don't give yourself permission to suck, and if you don't exactly know where you're going. It doesn't matter if you're a plotter (the writer who plots out everything) or a pantser (the writer who writes on the spot). As long as you've got your ideas set on the stone and in your mind, you're as ready as a legionnaire before a war game! 

A few things to remember: 

- Do your research! Especially if 1) you're not in the locale of the events, 2) your fanfic concerns a lot of myths or other mythology, and 3) you have doubts about characters. (About item #3, well, you'll see things about that in the later chapters.) 

- Get your grammar and punctuation usage straight. Not this!!! Or this......... And certainly nOt dIz -______- *0*) *faints* This is not a texting website, guys. 

If you want to be of any help to people, fix your errors so they won't be misguided. lostamongstars out!