How To: Reach That Word Count Goal

Before this starts, I'd like to say that I was just like anyone who started writing. At first, I'm already okay with 1000+ words. But now that I'm writing 2k-3k+ words on various fics/ongoing (secretly crafted) novel/s... Well, let's say that it's still a bit overwhelming, especially when I see myself doing that in one sitting. (Which happens, actually.)

How I got to that level? Simple.

1) Write a lot. And I do mean a lot here. Write everything that goes in your head as you imagine the scene. Don't cut anything. Don't mind if you have any mistakes whatsoever- you can always fix them later. But if you can't write a lot in one sitting, or you're struggling with a 'I-don't-know-what-to-write-anymore' or writer's block, you should:

2) Edit whatever you've written so far. When you edit, not only would you see your errors but you'd get to expand what you've already written.

Let me show you an example. This is the draft for Hope of Morning, Episode 8 Part 3.

[SPOILER ALERT. I haven't posted this part yet!]

Original:

We emerged at a cave wall, almost stumbling on air. In the sudden burst of light, my eyes burned. A faint red light way ahead washed over the stones like glimmering blood.

"Thought Elevator," Bianca rasped. I glanced at her and she looked no different from the last time I saw her, only paler with her dark eyes a little dull from the energy drain. "Thank the gods we..."

She fell to the ground, but not before I caught her in my arms. I was in no strength either- my wounds were already screaming pain and my back felt heavy- but I knew I have to be strong for her. For the both of us.

"Bianca," I whispered. "Bianca, don't close your eyes. Please."

She lifted her head a bit. "I would... never leave you... again..."

"Bianca."

She patted my head. "We have to walk, little brother. Think you can"-she coughed-"walk just a bit more?"

I nodded, then I helped her to her feet. We hobbled towards the light source. "What were you thinking back there, doing two jumps in a row?"

She laughed, but I could barely hear her. "I heard you did the same thing back at the Giants' War. Then I thought... 'If my little brother could do it, then I could.'"

"I've had helped at that time." I glanced at her. "What made you turn back?"

"I never sided with the Directorate, Nico," she said. "I never did. I did what I could to survive, to get this close to you again."

Word Count: 258

Most Recent:

We emerged at a cave wall, almost stumbling on air. In the sudden burst of light, my eyes burned. A faint red light way ahead washed over the stones like glimmering blood. I noticed a few other things, like metal beams jutting out of the gloom, concrete boulders, and upturned military tanks. The air smelled of mildew and death, my breath steaming. The cold raised the hair on my arms.

"Thought Elevator," Bianca rasped. She looked no different from the last time I saw her, only paler with her dark eyes a little dull from the energy drain. "Thank the gods we..."

She fell to the ground, but not before I caught her in my arms. I was in no strength either- my wounds were already screaming pain and my back felt heavy- but I knew I have to be strong for her. For the both of us.