Chapter 6 Sam Roland

Scott dropped me off at my house then said he be back at 10  to take me to his but he made me promise if Max gave me grief I'd call him to pick me up sooner. Key in hand, I walked up to the door unlocked it and walked in. The house was quiet which was a good sign that Max might be out but he could also as easily be in his upstairs study. I creeped up the stairs, my heart pounding in my chest, the study was at the end of the house and very private compared to the rest of the house. I always got chills when walking down the landing of friendly guest bedrooms to find a scruff damaged door with a great big lock on it. Today the door was shut but I could tell by the light streaming through the key hole that it wasn't locked which meant Max was home and I would have to face him.

If you didn't know Max you would think he was a nice guy in a well-paid job with no secrets or complications in life. However the one thing that may put you off him is the fact he gives off this family -guy -who -if -he -has -one -more -fight -with- his -wife -he -will -kill -himself vibe. The gelled back hair, work suit and friendly smile are his main sellers when trying to make a sale at work or when trying to pick up a new lady friend. But if you look close enough at his smile you can see the cracks in it, how fake it is and once you see that the good guy you thought he isn't as good as you thought your vision of him shatters before your eyes leaving you with the vision I have of him.

Anyhow, I continued my way along the landing till I reached the office door, I hesitated before knocking "come in," Max grumbled from behind the closed door. I cracked the door open and slid in, automatically standing in judgement in front of his desk "and what can I do for you?" he said sickly sweet, I took a deep breath and put on my big boy pants "there's a party tonight and I just wanted to ask if I could go?" I tried to say bravely but it all came out in a squeak "and what party would that be?" he asked casually "Britt, a girl from schools," I replied. "Britt Parking?" he questioned "yes," I said surprised and confused at him knowing her name. "You may go but only because I'm trying to do some business with her mum and I need you to be on the good side of her and her daughter. Tonight you better be charming and sweep Britt off her feet because we need her to convince her mum that we're the 'right' kind of people to be doing business with. You better not mess this up for me," he said glaring darkly at me. I nodded and walked out the office closing the door behind me, doing a dance of victory down the hall to my room, I can't believe he's letting me go! Even if his main motive is to send me there for business reasons.

It was 6 so I had 4 hours to get ready and double check that I was ready, first call of action a shower. I was lucky my room had an on sweet and that it was bloody massive, it was about the same size as my room. After I'd spent an hour in the shower just thinking, letting the steaming hot water run down my body, it was 7, Max was going to kill me for using all the hot water. I quickly towel dried my hair before putting on a pair of black jeans and a buttoned up dark blue shirt and my good old trusty  black vans. I looked at myself in the mirror assessing my rushed together outfit, my black hair stuck out carelessly in all different directions sending shadows across my face that made me look pretty bad arse. I looked for another minuet at my eyes, I hated my eyes, the way all the dark colours made my green eyes stand out like the stars in the night sky, I despised them and wish I had gotten my mums brown eyes and not my dad's green eyes. 

I must have stood there for a while longer because by the time I'd put some after shave on and actually shaved there was a bang at the door which meant Scott was here. I rushed down stairs trying to get to the door before Max did but by the time I got there Scott was staring hatefully at Max while Max just smiled charmingly at Scott. "Goodnight boys," he smiled and Scott and I turned to go "Asshole," Scott said under his breath "what was that Sam?" Max demanded "Nothing just goodnight," he gave me a sinister looked before closing the door on us. "He's such a dick," snarled Scott "I know let's just get to your house please."  We got to the car and we headed to Scott's house then to the house where Queen Bitch was hosting her party.